Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

An idea to deal with rising gas prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default An idea to deal with rising gas prices

Hi.

We need to impliment a new fuel source for our vehicles.

It's my opinion to count hydrogen out, at least for a reasonably forseeable near future. My idea is for the vast majority of the U.S. passenger vehicle fleet to go battery electric.

Technology today provides for a decent vehicle with at lest 150 mile range. It seems "they" could come up with a standard battery exchange program where one drives up, the discharged battery is automatically ejected, a new one placed into the vehicle and its capacity checked.
Drive in-drive out.
The old one is automatically placed on a charging circuit waiting for the next vehicle.

Given today's battery technology perhaps they could be doubled up for longer trips, providing extended range.

Sure, the electric car would be more expensive outright, but the comparable lack of maintenance would help offset the cost.

What about power?
I admit limited knowledge about nuclear energy, but I've heard the U.S. stocks tens of thousands of nuclear bombs able to destroy the Earth many times over. Seems like a waste to me.

No, I'm not suggesting nuclear disarmament but they could put some of that energy to better use in a nuclear reactor, attach it to the grid and charge our cars. Clean, efficient.

Kits are already available to turn your small car into all electric. I'm already considering building one for local errands.

What are your ideas?

-Steve

Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: An idea to deal with rising gas prices

I think when the Li-ion batteries get cheaper you will see a radical change in automobiles. Those who are building hybrids and testing PHEV are going to be sitting pretty the others that resisted the technology will be cought with their pants down, sorta like the american car manufactures are right now. If I could buy a FEH PHEV even at $34000 I would buy one, because it would mean my wife would almost never have to go to the gas station.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An idea to deal with rising gas prices

My idea is to work more from home. I now work 3 days a week from home and on occasions I do the whole week.