Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

I LOVE Flashblock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default I LOVE Flashblock!!!

Greenhybrid was running so slow it was locking up my computer. Lots of websites have flash adds that bog down your surfing. Enter Flashblock....Now instead of annoying Flash adds all you see is a little "f". If you want to see the flash animation all you do is hover over the "f" which turns it into a play arrow and click! How cool is that!

Flashblock installs automatically from the web to several different types of browsers. I had to changes some settings both times I've installed it but once installed it works great!

See: http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_flash.asp
and: http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I LOVE Flashblock!!!

I agree - I have been using Flashbock for over a year now.

Check out NoScript and CookieSafe as too. They allow you to determine what sites it is OK to run Javascript, and to accept cookies from. Both allow you to approve a site for just a session, or permanently. The default is to block Javascript and cookies.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:56 AM

I tried installing FlashBlocker and it seems to work on other sites but the ads on GH are still showing up....

(posted using IE7)

Old 02-02-2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
I tried installing FlashBlocker and it seems to work on other sites but the ads on GH are still showing up....

(posted using IE7)
Flash adds or picture adds? Sometimes GH ads show up as non-moving pictures (.jpg). Non-moving picture ads do not bother me because they do not lock up my computer like the Flash ads had been before installing Flashblock. My goal was not to eliminate ads but to keep my computer working or at least working at a reasonable speed. Looking at a few ads won't kill ya! Are the ads from GH still coming in Flash-animated?

Last edited by lakedude; 02-03-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:55 PM

Here is the still picture version of the ad:

Which is a .jpg file named: 06HSD_LIFESTYLE_BACKUP_728x90.jpg

This is actually a pretty cool feature of our site. Instead of bugging you to upgrade to the latest version of Flash, the ad defaults to a still picture instead of a Flash animation.

Last edited by lakedude; 02-03-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:23 AM

in fact, I can't even open GH in Firefox now. There seems to be a conflict between GH's flash and Flashblocker as the whole page just locked up on me mid-load and I had to use task manager to shut down firefox. Actually....it has Firefox so locked up now that I may have to have to shut down my while computer. Task manager can't even close Firefox.

It took almost 4 minutes for task manager to close Firefox. This is a disaster.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM

That sounds like what mine was doing BEFORE installing FlashBlock..