Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.
View Poll Results: Does someone tailgating you get you worried?
yes
65.57%
no
19.67%
don't care
14.75%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Following Too Closely

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 08:22 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: Following Too Closely

Can you say EMERGENCY BRAKE? Brake lights won't come on and if they are checked out later they'll work. He'll get the ticket for riding too close and you'll have an '06 Insight at his expense (once you get out of the hospital).

OK, maybe that's not the best thing to do, not that the thought doesn't cross my mind EVERYDAY!

Originally Posted by hawkGT647
On my morning commute, there is a Nissan 350Z that always passes everything on the road. He doesn't really speed, he just appears to want to pass up everybody.
He tends to get close when he's attempting to pass.
I sometimes have evil thoughts - I push in the clutch and just barely hit the brake pedal to make the brake lights come on. This will normally get him to back off.

Regards,

Old 01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Luckily, no one has ever hit my rear bumper yet, but I have had a couple of close calls (haven't we all?) and the number of people who drive like madmen just to pass me only to be stopped at the next light (which I knew was coming) is kind of funny. I know the traffic signals so well that I can tell whether I'll need to stop way before most of the rest of the drivers on my commute do, plus they wouldn't bother reacting in a gas-conserving way even if they did know. Witness the ridiculous number of people who hit the gas to speed up right before a red light just to get around me when I start slowing down early. It buys them about 6 yards- I wonder how much gas is wasted by these idiots? Maybe I don't want to know.

As you can probably tell, Yes it annoys me when they're tailgating me for going 'too slowly,' particularly when I am going the speed limit or thereabouts. If I'm slower, then pass me. They're not going to be able to drive *through* me, and I usually don't speed up (unless maybe it's a huge truck), so tailgating me accomplishes nothing and can be dangerous.

No, I generally do not fear being hit, but I know it's a possibility and that tailgating can lead to accidents, so I wish they would pass, especially when they have high headlights in my eyes (SUVs/trucks) and it's dark.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM

Speaking of close calls: I remember about a month ago, I was driving up I-17 through downtown Phoenix. Cruise control was set at 60 mph. I was in the center lane. About two cars back, behind me, was a 350Z. The left lane was clear. The right lane had a truck that I was slowly gaining on. Also, in my lane, I was behind another truck at about two car lengths. The 350Z decided he was tired of going +5, so he moved over to the right lane. As he was approaching me, I guess he realized he was running out of room as the gap between me in the center lane and the truck in the right lane was closing pretty quickly. He accelerated as fast as he could, got within inches of being in front of me, then quickly turned the wheel and zipped into the lane in front of me, narrowly missing the back bumper of the truck as well. Then he moved over into the 'still' empty left lane and kept on moving. Man oh man it must have been INCHES between our bumpers! He was a brave soul. I thought he was going to abort his high speed maneuver when he realized how tight the clearances was, so I never even clicked off the cruise to slow down. That car has such a huge blind spot that I'm thinking it was dumb luck and not skills that got him (and me) out of that situation alive.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

i like a short burst of 4-way flashers... it usually works, unless the tailgater is a REAL moron. then, nothing works.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

I let tailgaters figure it out for themselves that they can go around me. Duh, that's what the lane to the left of me is for--passing--right? Usually I'm following another car (at a normal distance) and the tailgater "should" be able to tell I can't speed up even if I wanted to.

If they get dangerously close, I have my favorite trick:
I clean my windshield
This is quite effective--they back off fast, and most tailgaters drive hot cars that they hate to get messed up.

Last edited by tarabell; 02-09-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

LOL!
Front, Rear, or both?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just front--no wipers on the back, unfortunately. Can cars with back wipers do the spray thing too? Cool.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 AM

I like that idea, tarabell, and I think I'll steal it.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:52 AM

I give the person that I'm following a chance to speed up... then if they don't I just go by them. Why be frustrated and why **** off the person by tailgating? The funny thing is when I pass, they usually speed up. Haha. I love that.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

[QUOTE=rigger]Can you say EMERGENCY BRAKE? Brake lights won't come on and if they are checked out later they'll work. He'll get the ticket for riding too close and you'll have an '06 Insight at his expense (once you get out of the hospital).

LOL, so this is one of the reasons for a higher ins preimum...

They teach us in EVOC. (Emergency Vehicle Operator Class) that when following or sitting in traffic you should stay far enough back to see the rear diff or the bottom of the gas tank of the car infront of you.

This keeps you from hitting the car infront if someone hits you in the rear and also gives you room to veer to avoid a collision.

Here in Fla. if your caught sppeding in a school zone with childeren present it will cost you $500.00, ouchy in the wallet..

Thats the best one yet, clean the windows that washer fluid really flies when you aim the far right side nozzle just above the roof line...!

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 02-09-2006 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Following Too Closely

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands