Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.
View Poll Results: Does someone tailgating you get you worried?
yes
65.57%
no
19.67%
don't care
14.75%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Following Too Closely

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Following Too Closely

For those of you that drive slowly, how often do people run right up onto your rear bumper?

Do you find it annoying that they're tailgating you?

Do you fear they're going to smack right into you at times?

Do your Spidey senses start tingling when you see those headlights come up behind you so close?

Old 01-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Default Re: Following Too Closely

If I'm going the speed limit I ignore them. If I'm going slower than the limit I will speed up to the limit to accomodate them (slightly).

I don't realy worry about them smacking in to me because I leave enough distance in front of me that I don't have to stop quickly and I also have room to accelerate should they deliberatly try to ram me.

I don't realy use spider sense. I am always looking all around to be aware of my surroundings.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Actually i think its funny when they come up behind and think your just going to scamper out of the way. Ive been racing since 1980 and the only way to go fast is get 3 or 4 cars nose to tail and your foot on the floor. Well other than the floor part i just ignore them and watch em get frustrated. The best part, is when they finally go by and give you that look, I smile and wave. It makes them even more mad.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

It bothers me when they have an open road to pass, and they sit behind me. Apparently if they caught up they were going faster, and I can't figure why they want to ride my tail instead. The only thing I can think of is they see the Hybrid emblem and they want to learn how to conserve fuel. If they get aggressive as I have read on the 'unstealth my hybrid' thread, and were honking aggressively close ... I would let up on the gas pedal and slow to a point they either pass, or they get pissed enough to hit me, I get whiplash and they can pay my bills for a while (just kidding). I do try to slow enough for them to pass, because I am trying to DWL or P&G, so my speed will vary and I don't want them to 'pressure' me to lower my MPG. If there is no passing, or no lanes to pass, I am polite enough to maintain speed limit, but that is still not always fast enough for most drivers. I have found people to stay behind me out of curiousity it seems. I was on a 2 lane going 45 in a 50, the person followed me as I turned onto a 6 lane with no traffic. I moved to the center lane (local road, not an interstate), they followed me with some distance for a couple miles before they became bored and sped away. I hope to NEVER have the problem Hot_Georgia had with the truck being rude and obscene.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned
Default Generally - No

I answered "no", but on occasion it might concern me.

It's interesting that there was a story today that 15% (19.2 million) Americans drink on the job. That explains some of the reckless driving right into a bottleneck.

Three years ago, I made the mistake of deliberately delaying my passing through an intersection. A woman had come inches from rear-ending me a minute earlier. I'm fairly sure she just got back from the liqour store...

Old 01-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
It bothers me when they have an open road to pass, and they sit behind me. Apparently if they caught up they were going faster, and I can't figure why they want to ride my tail instead.
Exactly. Just go around, it won't kill you, especially on a 4 lane! They seem to do this even worse when I'm going slow in the Vette so it isn't the hybrid emblem. It is like they don't look at their own speedo and assume a Vette must be going really fast. It happens in both cars so I don't think it really has anything to do with the type of car.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:54 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Following Too Closely

Hi everyone;

Just a few comments; I usually drive right around the (Posted-Speed-Limit) and when there is more than one lane like the Interstate, I stay in the right (Slow-Lane) and let the Fast Cats have at it. It really makes little difference what speed you drive at, there is Always-Always someone that is going to Pass-You. I use to drive really fast cars and lets say I'm doing 80 MPH on the interstate and look in the rear view mirror and here comes not-one but a line of vehicles that Fly-By like you were doing say 60 MPH on the interstate. As yrs. have passed by I have calmed down and for the most part I drive , once again right at the Posted-Speed-Limit and what ever the other drivers want to drive at I just try my best to stay in the right lane and let them go.
THE-END

Terry

BTW; Just not in as Big a Hurry these Days:

Old 01-11-2006, 06:59 PM

How often do people run right up onto your rear bumper?
Not very often- I can count as many times, less than one hand last year.

Do you find it annoying that they're tailgating you?
Yes, they're usually COPS on patrol. COPS carry tickets for what ever reason they seem fit. They're trolling for drunks in the middle of the night...and they notice my extraordinary driving patterns.
Do you fear they're going to smack right into you at times?
Yes. Had to dive into a Left turn only lane once for a COP tailgating, only to be pulled over for "illegal lane usage" (No ticket was issued)

Do your Spidey senses start tingling when you see those headlights come up behind you so close?
No not really. If that happens they are a very poor driver, and will tailgate the next poor SAP that gets in their way.

Courtesy on the road is my #1 consideration, but I'm not going to be a dog-kicking wife-beating nose-picking nuts next victim either.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I'm not going to be a dog-kicking wife-beating nose-picking nuts next victim either.
I hear you on the COPS, I've had them tailgate me for long times and sometimes pull me over for really obscure reasons... gotta fill those quotas.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I only get worried when they get so close I can no longer see their headlights, really close tailgating.

And as others have said, even if I'm doing the speed limit, someone is always going faster and feels the need to pass.

On my morning commute, there is a Nissan 350Z that always passes everything on the road. He doesn't really speed, he just appears to want to pass up everybody.
He tends to get close when he's attempting to pass.
I sometimes have evil thoughts - I push in the clutch and just barely hit the brake pedal to make the brake lights come on. This will normally get him to back off.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Following Too Closely

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands