Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

A Contract with the Earth

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default A Contract with the Earth

Gingrich calls for bipartisan environmentalism
Ingenuity must trump rhetoric if we are to save the planet, he writes

Americans must reach a broad-based agreement on the environment. Adversarial politics has prevented a strategic consensus from driving our nation’s environmental vision. As a result, we have become a conflicted, confused, and timid polity when it comes to environmental concerns. Historically, America has been a decisive nation. We must now take the necessary steps to return our country to a position of leadership on the environment. It is not too late to make a difference. Although I was trained for a career in academe, I’ve spent my entire adult life immersed in politics. I am convinced, however, the environment is an issue that transcends politics. Americans deserve candor on this subject: why the environment is so important to all of us, and why the time has come to act on what we know.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21520061/

Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: A Contract with the Earth

Gosh,

I hope this was just a setup for a <rim-shot>.

Originally Posted by Newt
. . . Adversarial politics has prevented a strategic consensus from driving our nation’s environmental vision. As a result, we have become a conflicted, confused, and timid polity when it comes to environmental concerns. Historically, America has been a decisive nation. We must now take the necessary steps to return our country to a position of leadership on the environment. It is not too late to make a difference. Although I was trained for a career in academe, I’ve spent my entire adult life immersed in politics. I am convinced, however, the environment is an issue that transcends politics. . . .
Originally Posted by Newt
. . . a male who gets very, very frustrated sitting in a chair all the time because males are biologically driven to go out and hunt giraffes.
. . .
I think one of the great problems we have in the Republican Party is that we don't encourage you to be nasty. We encourage you to be neat, obedient, loyal and faithful and all those Boy Scout words, which would be great around a campfire but are lousy in politics.
. . .
Have you ever tried to teach manners to a USENET troll? Literally, the man who did more to drive the level of public discourse to the lowest possible level now thinks maybe we can put that Genii back in the bottle? Nonsense!

We have whole radio and TV networks devoted to the most contentious, low-brow, knuckle dragging rhetoric imaginable. Journalism, a search for objective facts, has been poisoned by false claims of partisanship or even "fair and balanced."

Newt's claim today is no more than the mutterings of a hungover drunk who the morning afterwards says, "Never again." No, no, no!

I can respect Newt the firebrand tossing, idiot because it at least fits his pattern. There are folks who just are just that way and we treat their claims with polite amusement and the sly smile. Just don't ask me to suddenly think he has changed his stripes. Once a liar, always a liar and whether he believes it or not is not the issue. Schizophrenics, sociopaths and USENET trolls believe everything they spew out too.

Bob Wilson

ps. There has to be a cathartic event or series of events that strikes folks with a "clue by four" and gets them to take a critical look at what is going on. Sad to say, we've had enough and there is evidence that the 'ditto heads' are waking up. But I have no great faith that it will be soon enough to avoid a lot more pain.

Last edited by bwilson4web; 10-31-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Bob,

I'm not a Republican, but I consider Newt to be one of the few left that is capable of using his brain.

Don't automatically clump him in with the remainder of the disasters...

Old 10-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

You should here what he has to say. Dont through the baby out with the bathwater. He is not the anti Gore, he has some VERY interesting ideas. Plus he want to bring a concensus together not a hand grenade

Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Engineering first

Listening to C-SPAN this morning, I'm reminded how events have moved beyond Newt. Like many former politicians including Alan Greenspan, they no longer drive the bus but sit with the passengers and have time to reflect upon what happened. Whether they have the intellectual honesty to review their past actions and contributions to how the driver seers the bus today, well that secret will go with them to their grave. But I've been a passenger long enough to know what Newt did and his hubris that remains today ever bit as strong as it was then.

This morning, Newt's intellectual offspring were present on the lines repeating their trailer trash comments about liberals, the environment and anything else that didn't align with the radical practices Newt and others encouraged in the 1980s and 90s. If you call my party the "Democrat" party, we instantly know that attempts to communicate are lost and that is Newt's legacy.

No, he has joined the passengers after his turn at the front. The bus driver has to deal with the consequences of the route Newt chose and we're all in for a longer ride into what I call "Reality Training."

But I don't need to make further comments about Newt since the current bomb throwers are closer to the driver. I don't wish the man anything but the worst possible curse, that someday he listens to what he had said and realize how it destroyed consensus. He achieved a pyretic victory and set us on a course that IMHO, we have yet to correct.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Major Uranium Miner

Jeez Bob, you seem to be taking no prisoners! Glad I am not the driver.

Newt has had his moments bad and good, but the lack of consensus does not begin with him or the Republicans, of any era, but rather is sadly a widely shared curse. The poison of politics is universally administered and consumed.

Politics of division is amply employed to advantage by both parties. Usually by Republicans along lines of economics and by Democrats along lines of race and culture. This sad state of affairs is nothing new.

The founding fathers made our system of government one that exists in tension and conflict. I think in truth things only seem worse now because the things that are happening now are, well, happening now.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've always respected Newt, and most of his ideas.
Really, the main thing I have against him is how he just dropped out of public service in light of personal family issues. Kind of like he just "Gave up, ran away or disappeared".

I consider his conversations regarding energy policy as to be about the best of any Republican, and hope he will rejoin public service again in some form or another in some meaningful form.

-Steve

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 11-05-2007 at 03:02 PM.