Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Climate Challenge game

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Part Time Hybrids
Default Climate Challenge game

BBC developed online game. Simple 10 turns playing as President of Europa. As if they'd ever really all come together like that

http://green.yahoo.com/index.php?q=node/207 - game found by clicking its name "Climate Challenge"

Tried to once, I stayed in office and survived floods and extreme heatwaves!

End Result:
Enviroment: During your presidency, Europe emitted a very low level of carbon emissions, which is likely to result in global temperatures increasing by 1.4-2.6°C. You exceeded a mid-line forecast for carbon dioxide emissions created by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (UN IPCC). Well done!

Wealth: You left the economy in ruins. Hyper-inflation and joblessness are endemic across Europe. People are starving and crime and lawlessness have taken hold. Extremists have become more influential and threaten to undo any good you did during your presidency.

Popularity: You were the most popular leader most voters could remember and aimed to please when selecting policies. Some critics said that you did so only to avoid tackling difficult issues, but their voices were drowned out by the crowd.

I guess they predict under me, world sea levels will rise by 70cm by 2100 and temp will rise 1.4 degress. Not bad! Perhaps hosting the olympics and a space shuttle program were to much.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Climate Challenge game

I just tried it. Pretty cool, overall!

I also stayed in office.

End Result:
Environment (82%): During your presidency, Europe emitted a very low level of carbon emissions, which is likely to result in global temperatures increasing by 1.4-2.6°C. You substantially outperformed a mid-line forecast for carbon dioxide emissions created by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (UN IPCC). Well done!
Wealth (4%): You left the economy in ruins. Hyper-inflation and joblessness are endemic across Europe. People are starving and crime and lawlessness have taken hold. Extremists have become more influential and threaten to undo any good you did during your presidency.
Popularity (63%): You were generally liked and seemed to consider public opinion on almost all the decisions you took."

So, similar results, although you were more popular than me. I had no idea I was ruining the economy, though, as the years passed. How was I so well-liked if I was ruining the economy? I WAS very agressive in the later decades about reducing Carbon emissions.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:42 AM
Engineering first

I selected current USA administration policies:

During your presidency, Europe emitted a very high level of carbon emissions, which is likely to result in global temperatures increasing by 3.3-5.6C. You substantially fell behind a mid-line forecast for carbon dioxide emissions . . . not even manage to achieve partial success.

You ran a stable economy during your presidency. Althought it wasn't remarkable, it did allow you to keep inflation and joblessness under control . . .

You were a deeply unpopular leader who cared nothing for the happiness of the population . . .

You've been voted out of office . . .
Obviously a fiction.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Part Time Hybrids

Originally Posted by gumby
I had no idea I was ruining the economy, though, as the years passed. How was I so well-liked if I was ruining the economy? I WAS very agressive in the later decades about reducing Carbon emissions.
The economy is determined in this mini world game by amounts of food/water/electricity you have. Low amounts at the end = bad economy

Old 08-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by Sungod18
The economy is determined in this mini world game by amounts of food/water/electricity you have. Low amounts at the end = bad economy
I gathered that. I just never ran out, nor ever was it reported that people lacked water or food or jobs. Plenty of electricity left, too. Oh well. It was fun.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Sungod18

But that's the thing, what accounts for "low"? I had a comfortable stockpile at the end, or should've unless something I didn't know about suddenly occured, as well as a major surplus of power.

In addition, if the economy was so weak, why is it from 2010-2100 I had a 100% approval rating? If the Economy is weak, I don't have that kind of approval!

I also find it somewhat funny that I was in office for 120 years or somesuch.

Like some of you, I stayed in office, with 82% environ, and a 84% approval rating, but somehow a 0% in economy.

The game has it's challenges, that's for sure, such as running out of card to play at the end of the game. (Well, cards I want to play)