Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

The "Bully Pulpit"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:43 AM
Banned
Default The "Bully Pulpit"

This would be a very good time for The President to use the "bully pulpit" on Detroit, not only for the benefit of the nation, but even to boost his approval ratings.

In times past, Presidents have taken union chiefs of striking auto companies and the management and locked them up in a room until an agreement was reached. The reason was simple: as big as GM was in the 1960's, the U.S. economy could not afford an extended strike. Vaguely, I think LBJ did this....

GM and Ford are both in a hole that is going to be difficult to get out of. No, I don't think The President can't make them do anything, but he could certainly apply pressure. G. W. Bush is a lame duck President that needs more positive news than the fate of Tom DeLay and Jack Abramoff. If he spoke out about Detroit's need to get their act together, it could have a "Nixon goes to China" effect. He could push for a package to help Detroit in return for them getting serious with fuel efficient vehicles.

Frankly, I don't think he would ever do it. He is missing out on a chance to improve his legacy by showing some tough love to Detroit.

I hope this does not get too heated, but just see a lost opportunity of the Bush Administration to help themselves and the country.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 01-26-2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The "Bully Pulpit"

Chuck you're right but I'm just going to bite my tongue and not say more. kevin

Old 01-26-2006, 06:56 AM
World's First Hybrid

I agree. Considering GM just reported a $4 billion ++ loss in the last quarter. One good thing about the loss is at least we have $3.9 billion worth of suv's and trucks that are not on the road....Maybe they can melt them down and build hybrids or something smaller that gets good FE???? GM and Ford can probably withstand many years of declining business as they have $100's of billions in cash in the bank but I don't think the stockholders will be happy.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Banned

Yeah, I'm probably playing with fire.

I hope this does not go off on the non-energy aspects of the Bush Administration and inflamatory rhetoric, but it might and I probably should take the blame if it happens...

Old 01-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Banned
Default He Actually Told Them They Need More Appealing Vehicles

According to CNN/Money, Pres. Bush actually told Detroit they need more appealing vehicles. Well, that's a step in the right direction, but what I had in mind was spend more time on it as it should be a major issue, and specifically point out letting the sedan market go to the Camary's and Accords....

Old 01-26-2006, 07:36 AM
Brains of the Operation

Originally Posted by That article Chuck linked to
According to the newspaper, Bush suggested that one way automakers could make more appealing products was to promote cars using alternative fuels, a topic he plans to mention in his State of the Union address next week. Bush said in the interview that U.S. automakers could find new market share in the competition to sell vehicles that run on alternative fuels.

"As these automobile manufacturers compete for market share and use technology to try to get consumers to buy their product, they also will be helping America become less dependent on foreign sources of oil," Bush told the newspaper.

Brings a tear to my bleeding heart eye.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Banned

I was underwhelmed too.