Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Apple PowerBook G5 - Forget it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Site Founder

I mean as far as hardware, not software. I could wait for Tiger, buy a G4, and then find a new PowerBook released the next month. No?

Old 03-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast

Here are a couple of links you might find interesting.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01..._powerbook_g5/

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050114A7040.html

Last edited by jkash; 03-27-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Site Founder

The first I had already found. The second is interesting, but do you really think they're going to deliver in Q2?

Again, what's the advantage of a G5 if the G4 is faster? Also, how could a 1.8 Ghz P4 compare to their speed?

Old 03-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

Here are a couple of links that compares the two. I'm not sure the average user would see that much of a difference though.
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2087.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/faq/

Old 03-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason
I understand most of that, but not all.
I currently run on a 1.8 Ghz P4 with 512 RAM. When I'm working on the site, it wouldn't be atypical for me to have the following programs running at once:

Trillian
Mozilla FireFox
Mozilla Thunderbird
Adobe Photoshop CS
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
WS_FTP Pro

I'm not thrilled with the speed of this computer, but can't say I really know how things compare. I doubt you'd call these "everyday tasks."

If the G4 is faster, why do they use a G5? Also, I hear they have a new OS coming out soonish. Any info on that?
Firefox runs very nicely, as does Safari. Both are fast, standards compliant browsers.
Thunderbird runs fine (I use it on my Linux box also), but on my mac I prefer 'Mail' -- so you have two good choices here.
Photoshop CS will be reasonable on a 1.0 Ghz mac or greater.
WS_FTP Pro is windows only. Excellent mac replacements are available.
DreamWeaver .. I personally do not use, but I have heard others say that the software runs slowly on a Macintosh. With luck the company will improve it's software by the time you are ready to buy, but if you are wed to this app, I would *really* try to trial it before you buy the portable.
Trillian -- no experience. Nice ports of open-source chat programs exist.

The G5 is not much faster than the G4 at the same Mhz for all the apps that you use; and I don't expect that to change for the forseeable future, if at all. Put another way, the G5 is a 64 bit cpu, but your world is 32 bit. If you were a mathematica hound, ran terabyte databases, or lived in 3D VR programs, it would be different.

The G5 is an advance for the rest of us because Mhz can be ramped up at the cost of increased power and heat, and because it works *really* well in multi-cpu designs -- none of which is applicable to notebooks. One of the other Macs in the house is a Dual G5 desktop. That thing is a wicked fast monster, and has six (I think) fans to keep it happy.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Site Founder

Hmm. Sounds good.
I believe my Dreamweaver MX software came Windows/Mac-ready, so don't have to purchase again.

Since speed doesn't seem to be too much of an issue between the G4 and G5, what about the design? Will Apple redesign the notebook when the newest one comes out?

Old 03-27-2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
Hmm. Sounds good.
I believe my Dreamweaver MX software came Windows/Mac-ready, so don't have to purchase again.

Since speed doesn't seem to be too much of an issue between the G4 and G5, what about the design? Will Apple redesign the notebook when the newest one comes out?
Apple isn't really known for standing still.

If I may rephrase, when will Apple put out completely new design ? I do not have a clue, but when they do, I would wait for the second iteration. There are always bugs that require fixing.

Old 03-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Site Founder

Is that what you thought when you bought your newly-redesigned Prius?

Old 03-27-2005, 06:04 PM

It was indeed :-)

Toyota has a better reputation than Apple about making things right. I know you were kidding, but even through 2004, Toyota tweaked the car as bugs were found.