Synthetic Oil change miles don't jive

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Synthetic Oil change miles don't jive

Originally Posted by steved28
I have 3 or 4 strap type wrenches here, and a few that fit over the end of a filter and use a 1/4 ratchet drive. I'm not sure which one I used on the Altima.
But I don't think you should be able to loosen it by hand, even if you only hand tighten a filter, it usually requires a wrench to get it off. Just make sure the gasket comes off with the filter. Sometimes on the first filter change, the gasket will stick to the block. You don't notice it until you have put on a new filter (now you have 2 gaskets) and start the engine. Then, oil everywhere!
Luckily the gasket came out with the filter :-)... Also, I didn't see any oil leaks after a day (and some driving) so I think I am prb safe.

The old filter must have been pretty loose on there for some reason. I just gave it a single strong twist and it just started unscrewing. LOL

Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ILoveChess100
Luckily the gasket came out with the filter :-)... Also, I didn't see any oil leaks after a day (and some driving) so I think I am prb safe.

The old filter must have been pretty loose on there for some reason. I just gave it a single strong twist and it just started unscrewing. LOL
you shouldn't over-torque the oil filter, that's why it's easy to take off. i think most oil filters are on about that tight, if it wasn't, i don't think Fram would make the sure-grip

Old 08-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by langjie
you shouldn't over-torque the oil filter, that's why it's easy to take off. i think most oil filters are on about that tight, if it wasn't, i don't think Fram would make the sure-grip
You're correct, most filters are seated with a quarter turn after you hand tighten. The reason I say you need a wrench to get them off, is the gasket tends to expand after the engine heats up. Also, todays engine compartments usually don't allow a very good area to get a good grip on a filter with your hands.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Except for some Nissan's. I used to drive the Sentra SE-R and that was a very easy oil filter to get to (same engine as the NAH). I also took off the front passenger wheel for easier access. I haven't changed my own oil on the NAH though.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

Some interesting reading, Old data but still interesting. http://www.carwashmag.com/pdf/sept_2...nt/thicker.cfm