Reduce airflow, increase FE

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Reduce airflow, increase FE

Originally Posted by steved28
I'm not sure if too much air is a bad thing. But on that note. When I used to dabble in Mustangs (at least the newer ones), you had to replace the MAF sensor if you went to a bigger intake. Did your new plenum come with sensors?...
No additional sensors included with the intake kit. I believe that's where the "tuned" concept in Injen's marketing comes in. Or, at least it's my understanding that the intake is designed in such a way as to make it unnecessary for new sensors. Rather, the MAF is bolted onto the new intake and the ECU is expected to adapt to the new air flow.

Obviously this is my first go at installing an intake but, it is an experiment so, we'll see how it goes. I decided to make it a weekend project so I could begin the install with a nice cool engine. I'll post an update after putting a few miles on it, if anyone's interested.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steved28
I think you have to think about the intake stroke. As the piston is on the down stroke and the intake valve is open, it draws air/fuel. If you plug up the air intake, that downstroke will have more force against it, i.e., it has to work harder to draw in the mixture (vacuum). That will take more power. That power is provided by another cylinder's power stroke. The entire engine is working harder because it is more difficult to draw in air.

You need some resistance, I think it's called the venturi effect, but I would think too much is a bad thing.
exactly my thoughts. think about breathing through a straw. you're pretty much ok if you are walking around at a slow pace but try running and you'll find it harder and harder to breathe

Old 10-02-2008, 05:13 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

OK starting third day of testing, so far highway mpg is averaging 48.2, combined is running 52. I have been running more highway than usual (for the test) and anticipate that if I run my standard route (with less highway) I should get around 55mpg. No problems yet, however had to clean out the obstruction already due to clogging, and detected a faint smell of burning anti freeze but not sure it was mine. It does not seem logical that antifreeze would be affected by reduced air intake, antifreeze is liquid and is cooled by the radiator!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wow! Those are impressive results! How did you block/reduce the flow?

Old 10-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Eph, I will send you a PM with the details and photos

Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, not to play the skeptic again, but be VERY careful regarding the anti-freeze condition you may have seen. Certainly before ecu's, a dirty air filter could potentially overheat an engine. Since it would lean out the mixture. And don't forget that 44% of engine heat is accounted for by the exhaust, another 10% or so by the oil, so less than half the engine is actually cooled from the liquid coolant. If you are inadvertently leaning out the mixture somehow (although in theory you should not be able to do so), you are definitely harming your engine.

Are the electric fans coming to life at all? (on the radiator) Have you looked around the coolant overflow to see if it has spit any fluid?

Old 10-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

I did check the radiator cap and surrounding but did not see any evidence of overflow. I'm not sure if there may be a primary overflow located underneath somewhere, i did check the garage floor and did not see any fluid. Actually, I'm paranoid and check the ground every time I leave a parking spot. Temperature has made a quick turnaround to the cooler side. It is 54F outside and only 7:30PM

Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Final update on reduced airflow. You guys were right, it is not good for the engine. Yesterday I got an engine light so I removed the restrictor. The light went out today and the car seems to be operating normally. My findings however are positive, the highway FE increased dramatically to around 48-49 MPG traveling at 60MPH, the downside came in city driving, the FE actually went down in city EV and ICE usage. I suspect because the ice turning on and off at low rpm did not work out because the initial start with the engine rolling did not allow for an efficient burn. I would say that with the absence of the engine light, someone who travels mostly highway would benefit from this set-up. I did get a record tank with the restricted airflow, and was going for my second tank when the light went on. Back to the drawing board.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nice work and thanks for the follow-up!