Pricing in relation to MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Pricing in relation to MSRP

Hello... new to the board. I live in Oregon and so the NAH not available here, but I managed to test drive one and liked it 10 times more than the Camry. I'm using a couple of dealers to try to get a price. What I want is:
NAH (Blue/Black) with Tech Package and Sunroof. MSRP about $33k, Invoice around $30,500.

What I wonder is how much above invoice I should expect. I have a quote for $32,259 for the car I want and $31,700 for the car I want minus the sunroof.

What were people's buying experiences?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pricing in relation to MSRP

I was pretty fortunate. I purchased in early January this year. I had 2 dealers in the area that both had 6 hybrids (07 leftovers) on the lots. I did not opt for the technology package, but the car I ultimately chose had a sticker of $28,125. I paid $23,600 for the car after a couple trips back to both dealerships.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zippyzop
Hello... new to the board. I live in Oregon and so the NAH not available here, but I managed to test drive one and liked it 10 times more than the Camry. I'm using a couple of dealers to try to get a price. What I want is:
NAH (Blue/Black) with Tech Package and Sunroof. MSRP about $33k, Invoice around $30,500.

What I wonder is how much above invoice I should expect. I have a quote for $32,259 for the car I want and $31,700 for the car I want minus the sunroof.

What were people's buying experiences?

I am in Cali and I paid $21,300 for an 07 NAH with the tech package. I spent an entire day at the dealership haggling though (starting at 8am, till 3 hours after the dealership closed). I think the sales ppl including the general manager had enough of me and just said "fine you can have it at that price, just let us go home" LOL

Old 05-07-2008, 03:41 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ILoveChess100
I am in Cali and I paid $21,300 for an 07 NAH with the tech package. I spent an entire day at the dealership haggling though (starting at 8am, till 3 hours after the dealership closed). I think the sales ppl including the general manager had enough of me and just said "fine you can have it at that price, just let us go home" LOL
21,300 or 31,300... if really 21,300 please let us know which dealer i'll go there a day for that price any time...

Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, 21,300 with a tech package sounds like it was a demo. My dealer had 1 with a tech package that was a salesman's demo car, I offered 24K for it, but they would not bite. It had about 10K miles on it.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steved28
Yeah, 21,300 with a tech package sounds like it was a demo. My dealer had 1 with a tech package that was a salesman's demo car, I offered 24K for it, but they would not bite. It had about 10K miles on it.

It had 67 miles on it, though I don't think it was a demo car. It's just that it was driven back and forth between 2 dealerships twice because of car swapping.

The dealership is Nissan Irvine. They originally quoted me 26K (through their i-net pricing department) and when I went to the dealership they told me 29K. I responded by saying that I was originally willing to pay 26K but since they tried to rip me off by an extra 3K, now I am willing to pay only 23K. For literally half the day I would not bulge away from the 23K price as they started bringing down the price little by little. At one point (when it really looked like they wouldn't go any lower) I started negotiating about my trade in and further playing with numbers, and then finally reminded them that theres a $1500 factory rebate on 07 models. The final price was 21,300 then add tax and registration to that, subtract 10K for my trade in and I basically walked away with a nearly brand new NAH for about 11K out the door.

Getting cars for cheap is something I practice every 3 years or so... back in 02 I got a 4-cyl camry for 14K (3 miles on it), then an 05 Mazda 6i for 15.2K, and most recently the NAH. By far the mazda was the hardest to bring down the price.

My advice is to have a couple cards up your sleeve and bring them out one by one... Contact your dealership through their i-net dep and ask for a quote. Whatever they give you, try to bring it down 10-15%. Make it look like you are dead set on a price. The sales ppl will always do the thing where they go to the manager come back and say "I did you a great favor, price is now $200 lower... manager is not willing to go any lower". If you revise your intial number with something higher they know they got you and you are toast. Instead just say "not good enough" and be prepared to walk away if they continue playing games. Lowering the price will get progressively harder, so when you get tired, get them to write down the price they are finally offering you and bring out your other cards... mention the trade in, any rebates you are aware of, etc...

Just remember to hold your ground while negotiating and the rest will fall in place by itself :-)

Good luck !

Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Congratulations Anton! I think you got the best deal I have heard of thus far.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not going to mention our dealership because they are under indictment... but like ILoveChess... I live in Orange County... and the dealers here are pretty much willing to give the cars away. We got ours for about 22k, no destination charge, and that included a couple of the packages (don't ask me which one.) They are pretty desperate to sell them here and you can definitely negotiate down to the bottom nickel.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marianne
I'm not going to mention our dealership because they are under indictment... but like ILoveChess... I live in Orange County... and the dealers here are pretty much willing to give the cars away. We got ours for about 22k, no destination charge, and that included a couple of the packages (don't ask me which one.) They are pretty desperate to sell them here and you can definitely negotiate down to the bottom nickel.
Is it the Tustin one? I went there for the first time to test drive the NAH, and as the sales person was backing an NAH out of a tight spot, he clipped the side-mirror on another altima. The side-mirror on the NAH just got completely ripped out and the sales person didn't even seem to care. He just said "whoops, haven't done that in a while", as he proceeded backing out of the spot and onto the curb behind him running over some bushes. I politely asked him to stop the car, then got out and didn't even look back as I was walking away from that dealership determined to never go there again. LOL

Old 05-12-2008, 02:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ILoveChess100
It had 67 miles on it, though I don't think it was a demo car. It's just that it was driven back and forth between 2 dealerships twice because of car swapping.

The dealership is Nissan Irvine. They originally quoted me 26K (through their i-net pricing department) and when I went to the dealership they told me 29K. I responded by saying that I was originally willing to pay 26K but since they tried to rip me off by an extra 3K, now I am willing to pay only 23K. For literally half the day I would not bulge away from the 23K price as they started bringing down the price little by little. At one point (when it really looked like they wouldn't go any lower) I started negotiating about my trade in and further playing with numbers, and then finally reminded them that theres a $1500 factory rebate on 07 models. The final price was 21,300 then add tax and registration to that, subtract 10K for my trade in and I basically walked away with a nearly brand new NAH for about 11K out the door.

Getting cars for cheap is something I practice every 3 years or so... back in 02 I got a 4-cyl camry for 14K (3 miles on it), then an 05 Mazda 6i for 15.2K, and most recently the NAH. By far the mazda was the hardest to bring down the price.
That's an incredible (unbelievably low) price IMHO, esp. considering the invoice of the technology package is >$5K. At that kind of price, I almost feel like my mom got ripped off getting a leftover 07 NAH w/o technology package a few months ago.

Are you sure they didn't low ball/ream you on the trade in? That's one way for them to make it look like the car's cheaper. (My mom had nothing to trade in.)

If such a deal is repeatable w/trade in, I'd go tell my friend who's in the market for a car to run, don't walk to that dealer for a NAH.

Quick Reply: Pricing in relation to MSRP

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands