okay... something is SERIOUSLY wrong with my MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: okay... something is SERIOUSLY wrong with my MPG

Originally Posted by Marianne
Is there any feature of the car that could drop out of function and leave someone with a normal (non hybrid) car or anything like that?
I would think that if something was malfunctioning with the hybrid system there would be all kinds of warning lights. I believe that the NAH, like the Toyota Synergy Drives, will not function as a conventional car. The Honda Civic Hybrid will continue to run as a conventional non hybrid car if the system dies but not the NAH.

Did you hit any pot holes that could have put things out of alignment? But even then, a 10 mpg difference would mean that you would probably feel something different in the way it drives.

Another cause - but again, probably not 10 mpg worth - is that the refiners alter the gas formular for the winter.

Or it could be a series of small changes, gas formulation, tire pressure, alignment, temperature, etc. that all contributed to the demise of your fuel economy - but I doubt that scenario.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marianne
Is there any feature of the car that could drop out of function and leave someone with a normal (non hybrid) car or anything like that?
Is it possible that the car was shifted into B instead of D? I've done that on 2 occasions. Around town it's pretty obvious, but even so, not immediately so. I'm not sure I'd notice at all if I was on the highway.

And I don't know if it would make the mpg difference. Just speculating. The mpg seems real low, as if dragging a brake or something substantial.

Good luck!

-Gren

Old 11-03-2007, 05:38 AM
HypoFueler

Good if you test some benchmark speed - like what FE are you getting at 60mph with CC on? Other NAH drivers should be able to tell you what is typical at those conditions.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrendelKhan
Is it possible that the car was shifted into B instead of D? I've done that on 2 occasions. Around town it's pretty obvious, but even so, not immediately so. I'm not sure I'd notice at all if I was on the highway.

And I don't know if it would make the mpg difference. Just speculating. The mpg seems real low, as if dragging a brake or something substantial.

Good luck!

-Gren
The "B" position should reduce fuel economy. I believe that when you're in the "B" position the system never goes into EV mode. At least that's what I've noticed but then I haven't driven that much with the car that way to be 100% sure that's the way it always works. I've noticed that if you're stopped and in EV mode and then shift to "B", the engine will start up.

Last edited by lloyd123; 11-03-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

The engine does stay on all the time in B mode, but the engine would be on all the time on the highway anyways. I don't know what it is, but it "feels" different in B mode, like it's pulling something, like it wants to slow down. Maybe it changes the CVT settings? I'll try to remember to take a ride and see what it does on the highway in B, but it's pouring here today...

-Gren

Old 11-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here's what's in the Owner's Manual:

B (Brake) low gear:

Driving with the transmission in the B position for long periods of time may cause a decrease in fuel economy.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

"B" uses the ICE for braking rather than regenerative braking. So you don't recover the braking energy and fuel economy will drop. "B" is there for long down grades where the battery has fully charged and the car would otherwise be forced to use the friction (conventional) brakes. Using "B" saves the brake pads.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

That has been an answer I have been looking for and it is not spelled out very well in the manual. Thanks for being specific.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'll try the B theory. I can honestly be a bit unobservant about things... so it is NOT beyond logic that I simply put the car in the wrong gear and then drove 700 miles.

If that doesn't pan out... I'll see what the dealership mechanics can find.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Marianne,

What has your fuel mileage been doing since you returned from your trip?

Has it continued to be mid 20's or returned to the mid 30's when you're driving around your home turf?

Quick Reply: okay... something is SERIOUSLY wrong with my MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands