Oil change fiasco with Nissan Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Oil change fiasco with Nissan Dealer

I have had a constant argument with my Nissan dealer. I insisted on 0W-20 as the manual recommends and he wants to put in 5W-20. Now I know that it is ok to use 5W-20 but that is not what is recommend and what I asked for. I set an appointment date for a week in advance to allow them to order it. That appointment is tomorrow. I didn't hear anything and since the round trip alone is about 1.5 hours I thought I would call and make sure. "No we didn't get it in but we will put 5w-20 in. What didn't they get? I am fussy. **** right.So I told them I would go out and buy the 0W-20 myself and let them put it in at no charge. They said that would be ok. I drove up to Wal-Mart 10 minutes from my home and bought 6 qt of Mobil 1 0W-20 for less than $6 a qt.

It will be interesting to see what they say tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Angry Re: Oil change fiasco with Nissan Dealer

I would raise absoult holy hell in the middle of the showroom with the general manager. Make sure there are potential customers there. I would call his boss and fire off a letter to Nissan. I would post the name of the dealership online. As long as you are telling the truth, you have nothing to fear.

I am really a nice person until you aggravate me the second time. Then look out.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil change fiasco with Nissan Dealer

Originally Posted by JTirak
I have had a constant argument with my Nissan dealer. I insisted on 0W-20 as the manual recommends and he wants to put in 5W-20. Now I know that it is ok to use 5W-20 but that is not what is recommend and what I asked for. I set an appointment date for a week in advance to allow them to order it. That appointment is tomorrow. I didn't hear anything and since the round trip alone is about 1.5 hours I thought I would call and make sure. "No we didn't get it in but we will put 5w-20 in. What didn't they get? I am fussy. **** right.So I told them I would go out and buy the 0W-20 myself and let them put it in at no charge. They said that would be ok. I drove up to Wal-Mart 10 minutes from my home and bought 6 qt of Mobil 1 0W-20 for less than $6 a qt.

It will be interesting to see what they say tomorrow.
I too have had quite a few quarrels with the Irvine Nissan dealership... They keep insisting that an oil change takes 2 hours and that 5W-20 is equivalent to 0W-20 ...

Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think it shows that you can't take for granted that the dealer will put in what you think the recommended oil spec is. you have be in insistent or bring your own. Luckily Wal-Mart was there.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

why not go to Toyota servie dept. and pick up some 0-20 for $5 or onsale for 3.49 to 3.99 a qt. like i do... i'm sure they have a lot on STOCK

Old 03-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's called "customer service." You are the customer. The dealer is supposed to provide a service.

Please politely explain to the dealer that "good" customer service is him doing what you ask him to do. Maybe he just doesn't know there is a difference between good and bad service.

Marianne <-------------------- has watched the Disney movie POLLYANNA 500 times.