Nissan Altima Real World MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 05:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nissan Altima Real World MPG

Johnc73,

Although I disagree with the general negative tone toward the Altima Hybrid and think it's a great car. I have to agree with the mileage countdown being way off or very conservative.

This car has a 20-gallon tank and easily makes 35 to 37 MPG without trying. (As long as the outside temperature is not over 100 F. or under freezing and average trip length is 20 minutes long.) 700+ should be easy to attain, yet my countdown only starts at 599 every time, no matter how often I reset the computer.

Although it tries to adjust, twice I have hit the countdown warning, once at 599 and once at 620. I saw the countdown drop from 45 to 0 in one second of driving the second trip. Both times I had only used 16 gallons of gas or less which meant there was over 128 miles to go in the tank.

I wish the countdown checked the actual level somehow, but I guess it just uses calculations.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Insipid Enthusiast
Default Re: Nissan Altima Real World MPG

The countdown problem is not just a hybrid defect. My other vehicles with gauges also are always off. They would state 75 miles to empty and within 2-3 miles would drop down to 20. I have been getting good numbers with my mileage display but not on the calculated. Im only on my second tank so not enough for an average. As far as the fill to stop, too many variables exist. Air bubble in tank, temp, humidity, Oh and lunar phase???
The only way to be 100% certain is to top off the tank till you can see the fuel.
The mpg display for my second tank so far is at 42.1, will have to calculate "for what its worth" at the next fill up.