New NAH owner with possible problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New NAH owner with possible problem

Originally Posted by cptcmpost
I really think we are a candidate for the replacement 12V, but the dealer said we don't have any service bulletins that apply to our VIN. I think he looked up recalls though.
I spoke with another NAH owner today who bought hers from the same dealer as mine. She mentioned that she was delayed because when her vehicle arrived, the battery was dead. They shipped another NAH from their other dealership and swapped their batteries because the replacement from Nissan would take a while.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just experienced the revving problem for the first time today, at about 2K miles. Was on the highway, doing about 55mph. Threw it into neutral for my glide, and the revving began. When I slowed to under 42mph and the ICE switched off and I entered EV mode, the problem went away. But, each time the ICE came back on, I had the revving. Stopped for lunch, and the problem didn't recur after lunch.

Has anybody received an answer from Nissan as to what is causing this?

Thanks,
Eph

Last edited by cephraim; 09-05-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

they'll probably tell you not to shift to neutral

Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

I have often wondered about that. My feeling is that while you are at highway speeds and you throw it into neutral, the engine rpm's remain the same as if you were still in drive. It is hard to tell because of all the highway noise, but I think that happens. Still does not explain why the engine revvs after you pull off the highway and are abruptly kicked out of ev mode for no reason.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've got a ScanGuage and can monitor the RPMs with it.
When in neutral at highway speeds the ICE stays at a constant ~950rpm. Saves a lot of gas, as instantaneous mpg usually increases to 100-140mpg in neutral.

Last edited by cephraim; 09-05-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Actually, if you throw it into neutral and the battery is fully charged, the ICE should cut out!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Eph, thanks for that insight. I know I have not been a huge proponent of the scangauge, but now I can see that it truly is a useful device.
Larry, My ice has never cut out when I pop it into neutral at highway speeds. It does work if you are in ev mode and then pop it into neutral, then I agree it does stay in ev, even if you exceed the 42 mph limit.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
Eph, thanks for that insight. I know I have not been a huge proponent of the scangauge, but now I can see that it truly is a useful device.
Larry, My ice has never cut out when I pop it into neutral at highway speeds. It does work if you are in ev mode and then pop it into neutral, then I agree it does stay in ev, even if you exceed the 42 miles per hour limit.
Of course, the real hypermilers shut off their engines ("forced auto stop") during the glide. But, neutral ain't bad either and is a lot safer! The only problem with neutral is you aren't charging the battery...

Old 07-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

I just had something similar happen with my '08 at a little over 15k miles.

We took a 6hr road trip (with 2 short rest breaks). When we got off the highway at then end and came up to the exit toll booth, I noticed the engine was reving hard while we were stopped waiting in line. Occasionally it would slow for a second, and then speed back up. Finally ended up putting it in park and turning it off, then right back on again and it was fine.

Temps were in the mid to high 70's. AC was on.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ht_dave
I just had something similar happen with my '08 at a little over 15k miles...Temps were in the mid to high 70's. AC was on.
The real questions is WHY IS THE AC ON when the temps are in the 70's?

I don't turn mine on until the temps hit 90's. I run with the Fan On, no AC and even when I do hit the AC on, it is very sparingly. I don't leave it on. The Results...I am now on my third Tank where my Tank Average is 40.6mpg or better. And this is with 60/40 City/Highway driving.

I have found that the other trick is to keep the KW Gauge as close to zero as possible and try never to hit 50 with it.

Quick Reply: New NAH owner with possible problem

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands