Altima vs. Camry

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Altima vs. Camry

Camry drivers are reporting between 2 to 3 mpg higher than the Altima, on average. Does anyone know what could be the reason for this? The Camry is actually rated at 33/34 mpg while the Altima is rated at 35/33 mpg.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Altima vs. Camry

I don't have any definitive explanation, but I would point out a few things:

1) There is a lot more data for the Camry hybrid, so it is much less likely to be skewed by a handful of (possibly atypical) data points - in either direction.

2) The Camry hybrid has been available for more than a year, whereas for most of the Altima hybrids in the database, this is the first winter. That means that seasonal effects have had time to average out in the Camry's case, but not in the Altima's data - and this is compounded by the small sample size (see #1).

3) I am skeptical about the EPA numbers, in that the Altima has a slightly larger engine; other things being equal, I'd expect the Camry to have a small mileage advantage (though probably more like 0.5mpg, not 2-3mpg). The new EPA numbers are a lot closer to typical driver experience than the old ones, but they are still only a rough guide.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have been satisfied with the performance and fuel economy i have been getting in my TCH. I Can't make any comparisons to the TCH......they are different cars. I'm happy with the HSD system the TCH has..!!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

The NAH being a sportier car would tend to promote more aggressive driving, and lower mileage.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Hybrid Enthusast

But, most NAH owners just like the feel of the car through the corners and the way it handles, and are just as careful about MPG as TCH drivers, don't you think?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know that it is an issue about being careful about MPG, but more like what is attractive about each car. I really hate to make these sweeping statements, but I think NAH buyers tend to be more interested in performance (the Altima has the more aggressive styling, suspension, and power) and will want to take advantage of that, consciously or subconsciously, which will result in lower MPG. TCH buyers are a slower-paced lot, interested in comfort and a easy-going ride. Much more likely to drive in an economical way.

(I've probably insulted half each of the NAH and TCH owners here!)

Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by talmy
I don't know that it is an issue about being careful about MPG, but more like what is attractive about each car. I really hate to make these sweeping statements, but I think NAH buyers tend to be more interested in performance (the Altima has the more aggressive styling, suspension, and power) and will want to take advantage of that, consciously or subconsciously, which will result in lower MPG. TCH buyers are a slower-paced lot, interested in comfort and a easy-going ride. Much more likely to drive in an economical way.

Not insulted.

I agree that the technical differences should be small. Driving is much more of a factor.

Ditto on the styles. (Although better handling through corners will help MPG. Hypermilers don't like to slow for turns - wastes too much gas!)

Old 01-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Hybrid Enthusast

I completely agree. That's what I wanted to say!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by talmy

no insulted at all i think u right about that too... also the TCH has the Smart Drive or something like that will help a lots too.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not insulted either, I think there's a grain of truth in that "cultural" explanation.

I wouldn't place too much weight on the cultural aspect though, because the "gap" between the TCH and the NAH has been widening in the past couple of months (as winter sets in). I don't think that NAH drivers have gotten more aggressive over that time.

Quick Reply: Altima vs. Camry

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands