Ah! First Accident with NAH

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Ah! First Accident with NAH

Yesterday, I had a head on collission with the semi. He crossed over in to my lane. Air bag deployed and the front is crusted to the radiator. Both going about 25 miles per hour. No injuries. The NAH really protected well. While the car would not restart and had to be towed, there didn't seem visually to be any damage or movement of the engine or hybrid components.

I am just sick about it. I had it it towed to the body shop where I usually go, but I still am concerned with the hybrid components. They tell me that they do Prius and Camry Hybrid all the time. The closest dealer that services my hybrid is 45 minutes away. About 50 miles. I told the body shop and the insurance company my concern about the Hybrid. And they told me that if they had problems they would have it towed to the Nissan service dealer in New York who has a certified Hybrid Mechanic.

What shoud I worry about. AT the time. I was so shaken by seeing and remembering that huge Kenworth Grill coming at me, I didn't think to have it towed to the dealer.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ah! First Accident with NAH

Although I can't offer answers to your questions, I'm glad you are OK.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steved28
Although I can't offer answers to your questions, I'm glad you are OK.
Very well said!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am also glad you are OK. I have been in accidents in other cars and I know it's no fun.

I'm no expert, but structurally you need your body shop to make sure the frame isn't bent. Electrically you need to make sure all cables are secure and not broken or frayed, so there is no electrical failure or shock. Electric motors have less parts then an ICE so you are probably OK there. I would want to know that the battery is secure and not jarred lose.

Finally, I hope your insurance company doesn't try to mess you over. I have had trouble with them raising my rates and dropping me even when it wasn't my fault. Air bags are also ridiculously expensive to replace.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian33

Finally, I hope your insurance company doesn't try to mess you over. I have had trouble with them raising my rates and dropping me even when it wasn't my fault. Air bags are also ridiculously expensive to replace.
Thanks all for the advice. I have had my insurance policy so long that their policy is to not drop me because of length of time. While the cab and rear had no damage, you made a good point about making sure the batteries are not lose. It was a strong jolt. If I didn't have my seatbelt on, I would have easily been thrown threw the windshield and into the grill of the Kenworth Truck.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JTirak
I had it it towed to the body shop where I usually go, but I still am concerned with the hybrid components. They tell me that they do Prius and Camry Hybrid all the time.
Must be all those hypermillers getting rear-ended

Glad you are ok! Since the accident wasn't your fault, check into loss of value. Some states allow the insurance company to get by on this, so you may need to check for your state. Hybrids have different resale value which may translate into a "loss of value" different than a non-H Altima. If you go this route let us know how it goes.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Update:

The insurance company tells me that it is possible they might total the car. They said the engine was pushed back slightly. They won't be sure until more inspection early next week. I got the car in November.

And with today's demand, I am not sure I can get another one like I had. I love this car. I am in PA and had bought the car in New York...about 45 minutes away. Not a single Hybrid on their lot now of any kind. I am so pissed.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

J,

First off Glad your OK! Nissan is not selling the NAH in all states. If they total it (and I hope they do, they are never quite right after being hit that bad) and you need to find another one exactly like it. Let me know. My guy will get you what you need. A quick train ride up here and you'll be on your way in a new NAH.