Acceleration and smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Acceleration and smoke

Greetings:
I have noticed lately that when I really put the pedal down to accelerate quickly, I find that there is a lot of white smoke that exits both tailpipes as I watch in my rear view mirror. We have been having very cold days here so my presumption is that when the hot exhaust air travels at great velocity through relatively cool pipes (thanks to the hybrid system) the result is a lot of quick condensation. It just seems like a lot to me, more than should be normal-as if I was driving 007's Aston Martin. Anyone find a similar experience particularly thos in colder weather?

Old 12-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Acceleration and smoke

As long as it is NOT burning oil you should be OK, check the inside of the tailpipes for an oily residue....

Prob just temp diff and condensation/ambient temps.

BTW, WFO will kill your MPG............

Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Acceleration and smoke

The only time I had that happen was when we blew a head gasket. Smoke from the tail pipe = some kind of fluid burning