Spare Key - not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Spare Key - not working

Hello,

We have a used 2006 mercury mariner hybrid which came with 2 keys. one with the fob on a ring and the other an identical key with no fob. for some reason the alternate key with no ring will not allow us to start the car. It can unlock the door, and will turn in the ignition allowing the electrics/fans to come on, but the car will not turn over. All the dash lights come on including the "theft alert" light.

anyone else have this problem? is there just an issue with our key? i don't see anywhere that the keys have a battery in them or any kind of smart/intelligent option back in '06.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Spare Key - not working

anybody?!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have seen this on other Ford products. For some reason the second or spare key was not theft deterrent programmed.

A dealer should be able to program the key.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

guess i wasn't using the right search terms because i found a solution (i hope) to program the other key - thanks very much for your reply!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

I purchased a used 2008 mercury mariner hybrid early this fall and it came with 2 identical FOB keys. i do not recall verifying that both keys worked, but my wife and i have 2 sets if identical keys for both our cars and frequently exchanged them. We have small kids, both of us work and we are very busy, utility is most important.
Last month, my car would not start with my key, the one I had always been using. I never thought to try my wife's key, you just assume it is a car problem not a key problem. after alot of riggormarole and almost having my car towed, I accidentally tried my wife's key and the car started. then I figured out it was the key.
i took the car to the dealer. all buttons functioned properly, it seemed the security on the key did not work, or broke. After several attempts to reprogram the key, I was told that the key took the program, but still did not work in the car.
Essentially, all the mechanics, the service manager and the branch manager all looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders. Never saw it before and did not know what to do to fix it. Of course, I had to buy a new key and pay to have it programmed.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

that sucks. i've tried several times to reprogram my spare key per instructions on the internet and have thus far been unsuccessful. i may have to suck it up and go to the dealer. how much was the spare key/reprogramming?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

Mine was about $130 out the door, but the dealer did give me a discount on the key and did not charge me for all teh time they spent messing around, just for the standard program fee. My Ford dealer had a flat rate to program a key.
I had to replace one on a Chrysler T&C and it was almost $200. They charged me $120 for the key plus an hour of labor for sticking the key in the machine and coming back 20 minutes later.

I supposed theft deterrent is good, It keeps the everyday thugs off your car. But it does not slow down the real thieves. It just costs alot when it goes bad.