2008 Mercury Mariner - Anyone buy one yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Mercury Mariner - Anyone buy one yet?

They didn't want to wait and put it out as the 2007 model, and I think they wanted to avoid the whole 2007b model thing.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brady
Wait a minute... how come the 2008 vehicles are coming out nine months before the year 2008?

This is almost as silly as reading a magazine in March that is dated May and written in January.

They have long since stopped doing the 1/2 year thing. Now, they bring out new models as soon as they are ready (and usually late), and not wait until September.

Even 15+ years ago, I got my "new" 1991 Explorer in March 1990.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well we made our first long trip in our MMH. On our trip from Columbus, to Western Ny we averaged 34.5mpg while driving on the dry roads. We hit rain in Cleveland and averaged about 32 mpg for the rest of the trip. We are quite impressed with our 08.

As far as the needle in the green goes. I haven't noticed that ours moves at all. It's either in the middle of the green or we're in gas. I have kind of figured out tho how much the 'assist' gauge can move prior to kickin into the ice.

We've been able to hold EV only until about 30.
Jayson

Old 03-24-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ravadac

We've been able to hold EV only until about 30.
Jayson
I'm guessing that will change after several thousand miles.... it seems to have been the case with the prior models so I suspect it will remain the case for the 08's. After about 3,000mi I bet you can push about 40mph with a light foot in EV.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:51 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by Tim K
I'm guessing that will change after several thousand miles.... it seems to have been the case with the prior models so I suspect it will remain the case for the 08's. After about 3,000mi I bet you can push about 40mph with a light foot in EV.
I have been close to 40 mph with only 400 my 08 Escape. I had to be very, very light on the throttle. I hope this becomes easier with additional miles!

Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

I had the opportunity to use the new ECON feature yesterday when the temperatures here in Atlanta hit about 83 degrees. I was stuck at a long traffic light (they are all long down here), and the air conditioner was really not blowing cold air (as expected), I was in “L” and when I took off I stayed in EV mode up to nearly 40 mph. I couldn’t believe it (still only 850 miles on the Mariner). As soon as the ICE kicked in the air conditioner blew some really nice cold air and the Mariner cooled down real fast. This is going to be a really good feature down here from late March thru May and again in Sept / early Oct. However, ECON is not going to do the trick when temperatures hit over 90 degrees in late June through August. You would suffocate at a long traffic light with temperatures over 90.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by BigApple
.. I was in “L” and when I took off I stayed in EV mode up to nearly 40 mph.
Because of the eCVT, "L" isn't really low gear (there are no different gears). Unless the '08 has changed, the difference between "D" and "L" is what happens when you release the gas pedal. In "D" you coast and in "L" you regenerate.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by BigApple
I had the opportunity to use the new ECON feature yesterday when the temperatures here in Atlanta hit about 83 degrees. I was stuck at a long traffic light (they are all long down here), and the air conditioner was really not blowing cold air (as expected), I was in “L” and when I took off I stayed in EV mode up to nearly 40 mph. I couldn’t believe it (still only 850 miles on the Mariner). As soon as the ICE kicked in the air conditioner blew some really nice cold air and the Mariner cooled down real fast. This is going to be a really good feature down here from late March thru May and again in Sept / early Oct. However, ECON is not going to do the trick when temperatures hit over 90 degrees in late June through August. You would suffocate at a long traffic light with temperatures over 90.
Is that a new feature? It seems like its just the normal setting on the 05-07 A/C, and the MAX setting locks it on.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

It works similar to that teester, but I think it is to control the climate control. You can set teh climate control to the temp. that you would like and set the ECON mode if you don't want it to run the A/C unless the ICE is running.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wvujeb
It works similar to that teester, but I think it is to control the climate control. You can set teh climate control to the temp. that you would like and set the ECON mode if you don't want it to run the A/C unless the ICE is running.
I'd almost trade in my '06 FEH just for the climate control. The temp here in Montreal really swings (particularly in fall/spring) and I am tired of fiddling with the heater ****. The right temp seems to always be half way between 2 clicks.

rcomeau

Quick Reply: 2008 Mercury Mariner - Anyone buy one yet?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands