New RX 400h... questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hypermiling on NPR

Couple of quick questions for the hypermilers:

I just got an RX 400h and its not even broken in yet (~300 miles). What should I do to make sure it gets broken in without getting - just broken in the long term.

Secondly, how can I increase my mpg besides not accelerating too hard, not using the AC when possible and anticipating stops? Is there any subtle technique which an average joe can easily adapt to save a bit of gas. As 400h uses the same system as Prius, I am sure your techniques can work on my car. In a way, I am wondering if there is way to keep the electric motor engaged for longer. I drove 160 miles recently on a freeway and throughout, the battery was close to 90% charged. Wish there was a way to atleast get the battery take over completely for small stretches.

Thanks in advace!

Old 08-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Caps, you are doing the most important right things. The only thing you did not mention was slowing down a bit

Although P&G, used at it's best, can give the most engine efficiency possible, the HSD system probably gives 75% of P&G all by itself without driver intervention. For the cost of transduction losses (engine to battery to wheels), the engine is very rarely outside of it's optimum power output range. Pushing the gas pedal to the floor will do it, but even 50% down is OK, particularly if the battery has a decent SOC. When I drive on the highway and watch the MFD, I see that the HSD often switches between partial power to the battery and battery power to the wheels -- for the most part with minor battery SOC variation. This is normal, and is HSD smarts at work. Enjoy it !

Old 08-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by caps04
I drove 160 miles recently on a freeway and throughout, the battery was close to 90% charged. Wish there was a way to atleast get the battery take over completely for small stretches.
It's better for your battery in the long run if it's not always getting depleted, so having the charge stay at 90% is perfectly healthy, especially on a freeway. At those speeds your gasoline engine is actually providing almost all the power to the wheels, and anything left over will be used to top off the battery. Unfortunately the battery is relatively small (compared to an EV) so even if it were to switch to battery operation at high speed it wouldn't last long at all, then your motor would turn on again and recharge the battery as well as power the wheels, causing a considerable hit in MPG.

The only times when the battery is really useful all by itself is at lower speed cruising and light acceleration. Apparently as your engine breaks in it gets a bit easier to hold it in EV mode for longer runs, but again it's not necessarily more efficient to do all your driving on the battery pack and then let the engine recharge the battery, sometimes it's better to let the engine fire up and generate the electricity the vehicle needs on demand.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New RX 400h... questions

Thanks for your replies! 2 more

1) I understand the G in P&G but not the P - Pulse. How does that work?

2) I read somewhere that driving in Neutral is harmful to the car...isn't Gliding basically the same thing? Does anybody know if its harmful to the vehicle?