Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Why You Can't Buy This Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Engineering first
Default Why You Can't Buy This Car

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...601807_pf.html

"Why You Can't Buy This Car
By Warren Brown
Wednesday, March 7, 2007; D01

GENEVA, March 6 The Opel Corsa OPC is a little sports coupe that looks sharp, runs fast and gets 30 miles per gallon. It can be parked in the tightest of parking spots. It proves beyond any reasonable doubt that fuel-efficient cars don't have to be boring. And even at the stiff price of 34,664 Swiss francs -- about 22,000 euros in most of Europe -- Opel, the European subsidiary of General Motors, expects the Corsa OPC to be a big and profitable seller.
But Opel has no plans to bring that hot little number to the United States, where the Corsa OPC would list for about $30,000.
The reason: "Europe and the United States are two different worlds," says Robert Lutz, GM's vice chairman for global product development.
. . ."

In one of the Prius technical forums, we're slowly figuring out the subtle differences between the North American, European and Asian Prius. Although some differences make sense, others suggest a degree of chauvanism. Lutz's comments pretty well sum up that attitude.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why You Can't Buy This Car

I saw some Opels here in the States. They could do jumps, donuts, ride sideways on two wheels, drove through flames...all the things I do on the drive to work. Oh, wait, I saw those Opels at Disney World.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Banned
Default Re: Why You Can't Buy This Car

Bob,

In a related article, the average European car gets 35mpg vs about 22 for a US vehicle.

My first long-time car was a 1974 Opel Manta with an automatic like this (but maroon). Got 20mpg on my sub 5-mile trips - 30mpg on the highway.