Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Who's buying a hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Who's buying a hybrid?

I really enjoyed reading this in the July Reader's Digest (page 186):

WILL THE REAL HYBRID OWNER PLEASE STAND UP?

Think you've got them pegged? The facts:
* 40% are Republicans, and 36% are Democrats.
* 21% live in the Midwest, and 31% in the Northeast. Just 16% live on the West Coast.
* 57% are over age 45.
* 49% don't have a college degree, and 35% make less than $40,00 a year.

It was fun to see where I fit in these statistics, because I too fit outside of the standard mindset of who own hybrids. Has anyone ever polled the visitors to this forum?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Need a Plug
Default Re: Who's buying a hybrid?

You could be the one to set up the same criteria as a poll. !

Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by okie mom
I really enjoyed reading this in the July Reader's Digest (page 186):

WILL THE REAL HYBRID OWNER PLEASE STAND UP?

Think you've got them pegged? The facts:
* 40% are Republicans, and 36% are Democrats.
* 21% live in the Midwest, and 31% in the Northeast. Just 16% live on the West Coast.
* 57% are over age 45.
* 49% don't have a college degree, and 35% make less than $40,00 a year.

It was fun to see where I fit in these statistics, because I too fit outside of the standard mindset of who own hybrids. Has anyone ever polled the visitors to this forum?
As a person that lives in Los Angeles, frequently travels to the East Coast, has relatives in the midwest, and has a personal "thing" for attractive female hybrid drivers, I can say the ONLY statistic above I agree with is that 57% may be over 45. It seems to me like the rest of the stats are completely made up. You don't happen to have a reference to where they came up with those numbers, do you???

e.g., 21% + 31% + 16% = 68%. Where are the remaining drivers? 32% live in the South?

Yes, this kind of poll has been done on this site in the past. But this site wouldn't be most representative of all the hybrid drivers.

Last edited by stevejust; 06-21-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:23 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I don't remember the source (other than the fact that the newspaper in question was a Brit-rag that had a vulture for an emblem), but it made a pretty cool observation: gays and lesbians were twice as likely to buy hybrids as straights.

I know that in baltimore, I see a huge percentage of the hybrids also displaying the rainbow stripe on the back (mine included, of course!)

The giant SUVs usually have bumper stickers extoling the virtues of endless war, gun-toting! Hunting, and other macho clap-trap.

Last edited by AshenGrey; 06-22-2007 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-22-2007, 04:29 AM
Engineering first

I'm from Oklahoma, born in Stillwater and raised in Oklahoma City and Atoka. Where do you come from?

Bob Wilson

Old 06-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

There is a surprising, to me anyway, large number of drivers of Prius', Civic's and Escape's in this triangle from SE Virginia to Raleigh-
Durham to the Outer Banks. None of them has anywhere near the congestion of NY or LA or DC but in a 100 mi trip I bet I pass or see 3-6 hybrids.

Older with more disposable income was a definite demographic profile. Although now with discounts and a greater availability of basic models young marrieds are much much more frequently going toward hybrids. A $22000 family car that has gobs of room for 'family stuff' and only uses $50-$60 a month in fuel is a great decision.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I'm from Oklahoma, born in Stillwater and raised in Oklahoma City and Atoka. Where do you come from?

Bob Wilson
Atoka? Only thing I ever got in Atoka was a speeding ticket!
I grew up in Chesapeake, VA.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Who's buying a hybrid?

Originally Posted by gumby
Atoka? Only thing I ever got in Atoka was a speeding ticket! . . .
Before hybrid?

Bob Wilson

Old 06-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Before hybrid?

Bob Wilson
Yes, in 1988 or so, in a rented Lincoln Continental (smmooooth ride!). 4 in the car, I was driving at the time. (I had the first leg out of Dallas. Lucky me ) Cruising to Minnesota, on a tight time frame. 17-18 hours straight. Stopped for gas and bathroom breaks only.

I was doing 84 in a 55. Ouch!
We got 18 MPG for the trip, as I recall.

I can't say that I don't speed today, but it's certainly not of that high a caliber! I used to drive quite fast, back in the day (my 20s).

Old 06-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Major Uranium Miner

Originally Posted by AshenGrey

The giant SUVs usually have bumper stickers extoling the virtues of endless war, gun-toting! Hunting, and other macho clap-trap.
I am a proud hybrid owner and also a loyal supporter of our brave men and women in arms, own guns, hunt, fish, and like the good burp now and then. I am also an active supporter of the 1st amendment, and for that matter all the amendments especially the 2nd, 9th, and 10th.

Intollerance, encouragement of sterotypes and close mindedness are worse evils than being "macho" and as such are not limited to owners of SUV's.

Quick Reply: Who's buying a hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands