Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

US Hybrid Sales up 49 Percent

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default US Hybrid Sales up 49 Percent

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070917/hybrid_sales.html?.v=1

US Hybrid Sales Up 49 Percent
Monday September 17, 5:38 pm ET More People in US Buying Hybrid Vehicles; Sales Up 49 Percent in First 7 Months of 2007

DETROIT (AP) -- U.S. sales of new hybrid vehicles were up 49 percent in the first seven months of this year, due largely to a boom in sales in the Midwest, an auto information and marketing company said Monday.
I find news like this particularly exciting, because for the past few years I've always felt so jealous when visiting DC or Boston or California- places where you really see hybrids everywhere. It's been sneaking up on me gradually, but I think that upon due consideration I have to agree- I'm starting to see hybrids everywhere around here, too, at last!! And Oklahoma is the brightest spot- who knew?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: US Hybrid Sales up 49 Percent

Nice little article. Predicted 2% of new-car sales this year to be hybrids.
Thanks, Leah!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: US Hybrid Sales up 49 Percent

Great news -- and IMHO it can not happen fast enough.

I do find it strange tho' that Hawaii is the exception --especially when the price of gas there is usually higher, and the weather is ideal for optimal hybrid FE.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Maybe it has to do with shipping costs? I don't imagine that many cars are assembled in Hawaii-- could be part of the reason it takes a bit longer to move in new products. Just a thought- I have absolutely no proof of it.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:23 AM

The hybrid market have followed this trend since I can remember. I would hope at least one of the major auto mfg's would produce another battery electric.

Paraphrasing the movie "Who killed the electric car", one reason GM dropped the EV1 was the lack of profit on the short term, and predicted Toyota would certainly "Loose it's shirt" with it's Prius gasoline electric.

Hopefully with these sales numbers things would change.
I'm holding my breath.

-Steve