Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

US Gas hits $3.50/gallon

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: US Gas hits $3.50/gallon

Originally Posted by coolshock1
If you are going to be in the city expect it to be even higher. If in the suburbs it might be lower. I am guessing by July it will be even higher. I am in the burbs and near the Indiana border so gas is usually cheaper than in the northern or western burbs.
Right. I'll be in and around Skokie. I found however that CA prices are at least .10/g higher than anywhere else in the continental US.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I'm surprised. I had heard that we had some of the highest prices due to the amount of tax in place.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: US Gas hits $3.50/gallon

Originally Posted by coolshock1
I'm surprised. I had heard that we had some of the highest prices due to the amount of tax in place.
I have no problem if the tax is repealed followed instantly by turnstiles every "x" miles to collect the road use fees. The amount of gas burned stopping and starting to pay tolls would make the road tax seem like a bargain. Of course we could also incorporate automatic speeder fines and fees.

You know, this might be a nice approach! Instead of gas taxes, convert the highways and interstates into massive parking lots.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

The upper midwest does have the highest prices in the country. I was surprised to learn that last year when I spent some time in San Diego and San Francisco and found the gas prices lower than in Michigan and Chicago.

Bob, you need to get up north and see how much more efficient we are at extracting taxes from citizens. We have "I-Pass" and "EZ-Pass" transponders attached to our windshields and "Open Road Tolling". As we drive past sensors at 60 mph the toll is automatically deducted from our account. When the account drops below $10 it is automatically replenished from our credit cards. It's all hidden behind the curtain and you hardly even know you've been victimized.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: US Gas hits $3.50/gallon

Owch! Dang Yankees!

The last time I was up Nawth I remember driving through Connecticut. About the time you reached the speed limit and got the cruise control sorted out, here came the signs for another toll booth. It made me love 'em.

Can't we make 'em tollbooths from h*ll staffed by the recently unemployed? Maybe if we just add random TSA checks, "Sir, would you please get out of your car and take off your shoes?"

WHAT AM I THINKING!!!!

After the road repair and construction projects all shutdown, there won't be a need for toll booths from h*ll!

Bob Wilson

Old 04-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Think green.

Bob, I remember those CT toll booths all too well. The state eliminated the toll booths several years ago due to some deadly accidents, one of which happened here in my town.
As far as I know the revenues now come from taxes. Not sure if it's the gas tax, state income tax, or some other combination.
Every now & then I read of some proposal to bring back the tolls, but I don't know if that would have much support now that everyone is accustomed to driving without that system. Certain highways here are pretty much "parking lots" as it is.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I have no problem if the tax is repealed followed instantly by turnstiles every "x" miles to collect the road use fees. The amount of gas burned stopping and starting to pay tolls would make the road tax seem like a bargain. Of course we could also incorporate automatic speeder fines and fees.

You know, this might be a nice approach! Instead of gas taxes, convert the highways and interstates into massive parking lots.

Bob Wilson
Your US Gov't in action is waaaaayy ahead of you guys. They, or it, wants to turn our car-pool (read, HOV) lanes into toll ways. That way I suppose autos with the biggest transponders get to their destination first, in a manner of speaking.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenG
The upper midwest does have the highest prices in the country.
Aloha everyone!

What about Hawaii? We've been at over $4.00 for at least a month. I paid $4.18/gal when I filled up last Thursday!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry hapamama

I'm old and keep forgetting about the recent additions.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenG
Sorry hapamama

I'm old and keep forgetting about the recent additions.
S'okay... race ya to $5?

Quick Reply: US Gas hits $3.50/gallon

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands