Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Study: Kids No Safer in SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:59 AM
Banned
Default Study: Kids No Safer in SUVs

This hardly sounds like breaking news, but this survey adds more evidence that SUV's are not as safe as many feel they are. It's that old Star Trek conflict: "Am I controled by logic or emotions?" Marketers are betting people will still do the irrational thing when it comes to the safety question.

CNN Story

Old 01-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Study: Kids No Safer in SUVs

The article states that safety effect is offset by the vehicle's tendency to roll.

However, I *believe* that we, as hypermilers, conduct ourselves in vehicles much differently than a typical driver. We watch our speed. We are more aware of the road conditions. Therefore, we *avoid* situations that may cause accidents and thus rollovers.

On a recent trip to SW Pa, I drove the 324 miles in my FEH, rarely touching the speed limit of 65 (unless down hill) averaging 31.4 mpg. With a bubble luggage carrier on top of the car. Fully loaded.

The last time I did that trip, I rushed and pushed through the entire trip and got 25,4 in much more favorable weather conditions.

Less speed, more MPG, less chance of a rollover, IMO.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Banned
Default Attentive Drivers

Originally Posted by zadscmc
...However, I *believe* that we, as hypermilers, conduct ourselves in vehicles much differently than a typical driver. We watch our speed. We are more aware of the road conditions. Therefore, we *avoid* situations that may cause accidents and thus rollovers....
It's not part of the vehicle design, but the mentality of many large SUV/power truck drivers seems less attentive than the car driver. My favorite pet peeve....

I'll be serious about the illustrated pose: This does not remotely look like control of the vehicle. If he had to suddenly dodge (pardon the pun - this is a Dodge Ram) someone, the chances would be greater he would overturn the steering wheel and lose control, maybe even rollover.

There has to be a lot of commericial big-rig operators with several millions of miles accident-free. They have a higher rollover design risk than SUV's, but like a lot of hypermilers at GH, they pay close attention to traffic conditions.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Banned
Default Re: Study: Kids No Safer in SUVs

A CNN QuickPoll had 51% say they think their kids are safer in SUVs than cars. My take on the poll (if it is accurate) is a significant part of the population is responding emotionally, not rationally.