Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Skeptic - Buy Two Aveos

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Engineering first
Default Skeptic - Buy Two Aveos

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aW3sY79aEXUI

. . .
With gas prices down around $2 a gallon, Prius sales plummeted late in the year, resulting in a 1 percent decline for 2006. While gasoline prices lately are climbing again, Toyota Motor Corp. isn't taking any chances and is turning to one of the older tricks of the trade: incentive packages of 0 percent financing or subsidized leases at $219 a month.

Lo and behold, Prius sales surged in February to 12,227, or 87 percent more than a year earlier. The car carries a sticker price of about $26,200 with options.

. . .
What is misleading is he completely ignored the introduction of the Camry Hybrid in 2006 with nearly 40,000 units sold, quite a bit more than the 1,000 decrease in Prius sales IN THE USA. But I'm not sure it makes sense to point out the obvious to the author, Doron Levin.

Bob Wilson

LATE EDIT: After sleeping on it, I sent this note to the author and Bloomberg:

Doron Levin,

This note discusses a number of errors in your article "Save With Toyota Prius? Buy Two Aveos Instead: Doron Levin". Although a hybrid may not be everyone's answer, misleading and factual errors are unethical and poor practice.

It is misleading to claim ". . . Prius sales plummeted late in the year, resulting in a 1 percent decline for 2006." when 1 percent decline is not a 'plummet' compared to the GM and Ford product line declines. But worse, it is misleading because it ignores the introduction of the Camry hybrid that has taken Prius sales from the high-end buyers:

Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. Retail Sales (includes fleet
and Hawaii):

39,359 - Camry 2006
106,971 - Prius 2006
107,897 - Prius 2005

Pleading ignorance of the Camry Hybrid doesn't work since you mentioned "Toyota has been the hybrid leader in the past decade, selling 400,000 hybrid-powered Priuses, Camrys and others models in the U.S."

It is misleading to compare "The $670 difference gasoline savings on the Prius over the Camry translates into almost a five-year payback on Prius's $3,000 price premium." when there is a Camry hybrid. Those of us who compared a hybrid Camry to a gas Camry by getting equivalent optioned quotes have found the price difference to be substantially less than $3,000 and closer to $1,600. If nothing else, the Prius is using a three year older hybrid system and the Camry hybrid has a more modern system.

It is misleading to compare a stripped, manual transmission Aveo to an automatic transmission Prius as in "The Aveo averages about 30 miles a gallon and thus consumes about $1,275 a year worth of gasoline -- $579 more than the Prius and $91 less than the Camry. But at a purchase price of about $12,000 it represents a price savings of about $12,000 over the Camry and more over the Prius." When you add the features to an Aveo found standard on a Prius, the MSRP price, according to Edmunds, increases to $15,545:
$850 - automatic transmission
$475 - aluminum wheels
$425 - cruise control and keyless entry
$400 - anti-lock brakes
$325 - equivalent radio and CD player
$295 - power windows
$225 - rear spoiler
$125 - equivalent speakers

I do not mind having a difference of opinion about hybrids. What I do mind is finding the facts distorted by false comparisons and ignoring relevant facts such as the introduction of the Camry hybrid in 2006. Such simplistic and obvious failings reduces not only your credibility but also Bloomberg. IMHO, a correction is warranted.

Robert J. Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-20-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Adding rebuttal
Old 03-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Banned
Default Re: Skeptic - Buy Two Aveos

So buy two made in South Korea econoboxes of so-so fuel economy, because they will last 75,000 miles each?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Engineering first

Upon further reflection, I noticed a 'product endorsement' in the piece. So I sent the following feedback to Bloomberg:

Hi,

Although there are a number of factual errors and misleading claims in this piece: "Save With Toyota's Prius? Buy Two Aveos Instead: Doron Levin" I just realized that instead of comparing a Prius to another small, gas-only Toyota, Doron had reached out to advocate a Chevy Aveo, a car whose only purpose in this piece is as a gas-only, small car.

To me, this looks like a backhanded product endorsement, a Chevy product, instead of the claimed purposed of this piece, a hack job on the Prius. Will you bill GM for this backhanded advertisement or do Doron Levin and "CNW Marketing" collect the advertising fee from GM?

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-20-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Malcontent

How much is the Chevy premium? Can you even put a price on the humiliation of having to drive a Chevy? How many years will it take for one's self-esteem to recover?

Old 03-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Give 'em hell, Bob.

I agree with you. Prius-bashing in the press gets tiresome, especially when it is invariably based on misinformation, distortions, and outright lies.

Harry

Old 03-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

How silly! (Not you, Bob, that Doron person who wrote the article)

An awful lot more than price goes into the decision to buy a car. If that was not true, then GM and Ford would not be in the bad shape they're in.

I can tell you that I NEVER look at American cars when I am car-shopping, and that's because we keep our cars for 6 to 10 years, and I have no faith in the ability of a GM or Ford or Chrysler to last that long. I do totally agree that the TCH has taken sales away from the Prius -- and I'm an example of that. I probably would have bought a Prius if the TCH hadn't come out this year, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I'm also tired of that trite "how long will it take to pay back the cost" argument. Yeah, I use less gas, but heck, I only drive about 10,000 miles a year, so the price of gas is not a driving force (no pun intended) in my choice of cars. I bought the TCH because I liked it -- it's a fun car with a lot of interesting features that aren't found in other cars. Plus it allows me to do a little tiny bit to help reduce pollution and global warming.

Why are these guys always so worried about payback on a hybrid, when they aren't worried about 'payback' on leather seats or 18-inch wheels? I'm not knocking these, I'm just using them for comparison, because you might as well say, "Hey, don't go for the bigger wheels or the heated seats, because you'll never get your money back when you resell the car." Stupid. Just stupid.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Earthling
Give 'em hell, Bob.

I agree with you. Prius-bashing in the press gets tiresome, especially when it is invariably based on misinformation, distortions, and outright lies.

Harry
Note to myself: Next week get notes together and make a thourgh post at the forum at www.snopes.com with substantial links refuting this propaganda (Dust, Sudbury). Others welcome to chime in.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Skeptic - Buy Two Aveos

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Note to myself: Next week get notes together and make a thourgh post at the forum at www.snopes.com with substantial links refuting this propaganda (Dust, Sudbury). Others welcome to chime in.
I'd forgotten about slashdot and they are really roasting both reports. Your job may be a lot easier.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-25-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Hybrid True Believer

The anti-hybrid crowd is pretty infamous for comparing entry-level, stripped-down cars to fully-optioned hybrids and then declaring, 'look how expensive hybrids are!' As if anyone interested in a Civic Hybrid or a Prius would ever consider an Aevo to be an acceptable second choice. A Prius shopper might buy a HCH or vice versa since they are comparable vehicles. But the AEVO doesn't compare at all

Old 03-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
The anti-hybrid crowd is pretty infamous for comparing entry-level, stripped-down cars to fully-optioned hybrids and then declaring, 'look how expensive hybrids are!' As if anyone interested in a Civic Hybrid or a Prius would ever consider an Aevo to be an acceptable second choice. A Prius shopper might buy a HCH or vice versa since they are comparable vehicles. But the AEVO doesn't compare at all
My thoughts EXACTLY. It drives me crazy when journalists do this. I wonder what car he drives and if we can challenge him on why he's not driving an Aveo if they're so desirable.

Quick Reply: Skeptic - Buy Two Aveos

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands