Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Pump prices deal blow to GM, Chrysler

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Pump prices deal blow to GM, Chrysler

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2006606020428

DUH!

The funny thing is that not that long ago they ran articles how pump prices won't impact sales, and how people want their big engines and fuel prices just aren't important when considering a new car, because they may go down. Not just one article either mind you, in the last three months there's been at least 5 articles about it. (Though one day the business section had an article how gas prices would sales, while the Motor city section had an article where gas prices wouldn't)

Then this one.

Specious logic: the more hybrids they produced, the better off they were.

What made me laugh, not only is this a front page story, but the end:

An education adviser at the University of Phoenix, Knight said she was not too worried about the economy and gas prices."It was time for me to get a new car. And I thought, 'If you can afford it, why not?' " She decided she could afford the $270-a-month payment, and she is budgeting $200 per month for gas.
$200 a month for gas? And that's acceptable? I guess owning a hybrid has really changed my view of that!

Old 06-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Pump prices deal blow to GM, Chrysler

Having been through two previous energy crisis, I'm reminded of the reformed alcoholic who reformed every Sunday only to be dead drunk the next Friday. For example, one of my Dad's friends asked me about 'using coal' for energy citing Hitler's synthetic fuel program. "Why can't we do that?"

I told him, I could answer but you might now like the answer. Jimmy Carter had a full blown synthetic fuel and shale oil program and energy efficiency program during his administration. He even put solar energy collectors on the White House. But when Ronald Reagan came in, he shutdown every one of Carter's programs and ripped the solar collectors off the White House. What chance is there for energy efficiency of the next administration simply tears down what the previous administration had done?

I didn't get the impression there was a fundimental change of mind but just another reaction to a local 'crisis d'jour'. There is not a sustained intellectual commentment to energy efficiency but a temporary pique. Sorry to be disappointing about this but I lived through the '73, '79 and subsequent energy crisis. All I can do is my small part and pray other 'get a clue-by-four' before it is too late.

Bob Wilson