Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

The Prius Limo

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up The Prius Limo

Eco luxury
OZOcar's Prius limos feature luxury amenities for riders to choose a kickback or wired experience -- high-speed Internet access, charging sockets, leather-trimmed seats and satellite radio. These perks go a long way to make up for a bit less leg room than the standard limo. OZOcar also has Highlander Hybrids in the fleet, for rides that require extra passenger or luggage room.

The formula has been an instant hit with New Yorkers...

...Anyone can book us with a phone call to 866-696-5966.

"OZOcar uses only Toyota products and has sixty-three Prius plus four Highlander Hybrids, with five more Prius on order. The reliability, fuel economy and low emissions are what we and our clients want..."
http://www.toyota.com/html/hybridsyn...er/ozocar.html

So we have here a new New York City car service with rental hybrids, called OZOcar. They may be a little souped-up, but I would guess that they're still really fuel-efficient. I think it's great! I've had my eyes out for hybrid rental cars and hybrid taxi services for a while now, and seeing something like this, even if it isn't in my area, makes me happy. We should be supporting businesses like this when we can!

Has anyone heard of them or used them? Reactions? Comments?

Old 10-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Default Re: The Prius Limo

I saw an ad for one of those "borrow a car" type places but they wanted like $60/day. I could rent a regular car for about half that.

Do they say how much more or less someone would pay to use OZOcar vs a regular limo company?

Old 10-18-2006, 01:56 PM

I wish I had the time and money to start a cab company with Hybrids. I'd call it Green Cab co. and only have Hybrid cabs. I'd have a nice memorable phone number too like 215-ECO-TAXI (why no cab companies in Philly have phone numbers that spell something is beyond me - the only cab # I know is 333-3333)

As for the "borrow a car" places....we'v got Philly Car Share which is a non-profit company that has vehicles staged all over the city that you can rent for a couple of hours or a day.

http://www.phillycarshare.com/index.html

No insurance, no gas, no nothing, you have your own key and can reserve cars online with little notice. $15/mo and $5.90/hr or $0/mo and $7.90/hr. Great for people in a city that can't or don't want to own a car. A weekly trip to the supermarket runs you $40/mo....cheaper than a cab.

They offer mostly Priuses, but also have minivans and pickups in some locations for those trips to Home Depot. A good concept if you ask me.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:25 PM

I did a little more poking around and came up with their actual website, which is at http://www.ozocar.com/ and has some graphics, the number again, and very little information.

Then there was a rate page, where they list some 'sample corporate rates,' which varied from $22 to $110, in a chart that lists places in New York City, New Jersey and Connecticut. At the bottom, it says,

Hourly rates are calculated at $50 per hour
Rates do not include waiting time (waiting time is calculated at $48 per hour),
stops, tolls or a $3 service charge and a 2% state mandated WC fee.
Sounds like a lot of money to me, but I have no idea how much regular cabs are in New York, let alone luxury car services. Rental cars would HAVE to be cheaper. On the other hand, most people in New York don't get rental cars; they take taxis, even though it's a lot more, right? So the standards there must be different than I'd expect.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:16 PM

Most car services are corporate accounts. I don't know what rates they charge but just about every big financial and legal firm uses car services for their employees. When my wife worked in NYC they always took car service home when they worked past 8pm. I'm sure someone here can chime in with the going rate.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:11 AM

Funny thing with our work. We would take limo's from home to the airport when we had to travel. The limo was $40. Our company now says only "executives" are allowed to take limos. The price of a taxi is $50. Go figure. I guess ego's have to be stroked.