Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Peterbilt aerodynamic vehicle . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:52 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Peterbilt aerodynamic vehicle . . .

http://www.thetrucker.com/News/Stori...ayprogram.aspx

DENTON, Texas (April 24, 2007) — Peterbilt’s two most aerodynamic trucks, the Models 387 and 386, have been recognized as fuel efficient and environment friendly by the Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay program, the company reports. The SmartWay program establishes a comprehensive set of fuel-saving, low-emission equipment specifications for new Class 8 long-haul tractors and trailers.
Peterbilt’s SmartWay compliant vehicles offer customers fuel savings of between 10 and 20 percent, lower greenhouse gas emissions, and significantly reduced NOx, particulate matter and other air pollutants, according to the manufacturer.
. . .
Peterbilt also continues development and testing of vehicles equipped with advanced hybrid technologies that increase fuel efficiency, reduce emissions and improve service requirements. The company’s hybrid initiatives include medium- and heavy-duty vehicle platforms and for both on-highway and vocational applications.
In March, Peterbilt announced the latest of its hybrid initiatives, a hybrid electric Class 8 Model 386 configured for long-haul applications. It combines the aerodynamic efficiency of the Model 386 with a parallel-type "direct" electric hybrid system.
Although heavy trucks are a small part of the total transportation energy demand, it ties back directly to the cost of goods and business. I applaud their efforts.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Default Re: Peterbilt aerodynamic vehicle . . .

Plus trucks are very expensive anyway, but they get driven a crapload, so slightly higher up-front costs with lower operating costs obviously makes sense. Of course that's why they're diesels in the first place.

Trailers create an enormous amount of drag though. That's why you always feel a strong wind when a truck passes.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 04-28-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Family Site
Old 04-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Very true.

I actually was thinking about this just last week. Electric motors would also provide more low end torque to help haul as well, as every train engineer can tell you.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Nice find Bob. And right down the highway from me (15 miles).
I'll be looking for some protoype test run sitings.