2009 Ford Escape Aerodynamic Test Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2009 Ford Escape Aerodynamic Test Video

This 10 second video from this YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG6A5ZBNPlM

visually displays the aerodynamic disadvantage of the 2009 Escape. Note the "unsmooth" current at the rear of the vehicle

Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Ford Escape Aerodynamic Test Video

Originally Posted by Billyk
This 10 second video from this YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG6A5ZBNPlM

visually displays the aerodynamic disadvantage of the 2009 Escape. Note the "unsmooth" current at the rear of the vehicle

What does that really prove? That is not a real vehicle and is not even moving? It is a still photo digitalized to simulate air movement but there is nothing scientific to prove it is any less aerodynamic than any other SUV. If you want aerodynamic I think there a lot of better choices as opposed to an SUV, but that is just my opinion.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Flow Illustrator is a tool for demonstrating the concept of flow over different surfaces. Lots of fun for playing around, but it isn't intended as proof of anything.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.

Originally Posted by Billyk

Hey...thats my video lol Definately not an acurate display but fun to play with to get a general idea. I've been playing around with it to get a basic idea of what airtabs or an airfoil might do to the flow charateristics. Just goofing with it to learn a little about aerodynamics.
Wishing I could afford something like Exa PowerFlow but that kind of loot isnt chump change. Especially for someone who wants to play, not start a business.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Green Lantern
What does that really prove? That is not a real vehicle and is not even moving? It is a still photo digitalized to simulate air movement but there is nothing scientific to prove it is any less aerodynamic than any other SUV. If you want aerodynamic I think there a lot of better choices as opposed to an SUV, but that is just my opinion.
but thats how wind tunnels work... The object stays stationary and you move the air. Wind tunnel simulators ALSO hold the object stationary and SIMULATE the air rushing by at speed...as far as aerodynamics are concerned its the same.

I can't verify the programmer did a good job of setting up the model but if they did it should be pretty accurate for airflow analysis EXECEPT for the fact that it is only 2D and therefore says nothing about how the air flows horizontally around the vehicle... which is pretty significant...

Clearly an SUV is a brick.... but some bricks are more "rounded" than others and will be better for MPG.