Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Oil Independance by 2050?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Banned
Default More Marathoner/Hypermiler Parallels

• For best results, do a warm up prior to the run and loosen the joints.
  • Don't try to go up hills as fast as level terrain.
  • Let up when you go down hills
  • Many marathoners wear a watch giving their pulse, speed and distance run to monitor their progress. Hypermilers read the dashboard.
  • Proper stride with a slight bounce for a marathoner is like chosing the optimal gear and slightly overinflating the tires - less rolling resistance.
  • Running is natural, but optimum economy comes only with practice - like hypermiling.
  • (might be controversial) A generally constant speed is best for the run.
  • Slow-twich muscles (for endurance) = gas engine
  • Fast-twich muscles (for brief, but uneconomical surges) = assist motor
  • If a runner exerts himself about about 80% of their maximum heartbeat (about 220 beat per minute - age) they are going from the aerobic to anerobic mode (i.e. the "assist" mode). They will tire within minutes and need at least 20-30 minutes to recover fully. A marthoner trains to go as fast as possilble without going anerobic (the assist mode).
  • In hypermiler terms, the normal marathoner has a "gas tank" of about 20 miles but needs to go 26.2 (or 32km of 42km). The training is to essentially improve running economy to extend that distance plus burn some fat along the way with the glyocgen (gas)
Just for fun: 20,000 run in the Boston Marathon even though you have to complete a prior marathon at a semi-pro speed for your age/bracket and gender. That's all their streets can hold. If the EPA was as strict, the CAFE standards would be 50mpg, the sliding scale would require light trucks/SUVs to get 40mpg, sedans 50mpg, subcompacts at least 60 mpg. No kidding!

Old 10-18-2005, 03:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Independance by 2050?

I agree with EricGo.

Originally Posted by EricGo
Equilibrium is reached through price/demand. Period.
Any discussion of what fuel people will use in the future depends on only one thing - price.

Ford motor co. did a study a while back to show that there is enough carbon in the ground to last 600 years at today's consumption rates! When the easy to get at crude oil stuff is gone, then they'll go for the oil shales and the tar sands, and when they're all used up, go for the coal and the natural gas. At each step a barrel of oil becomes more expensive, but, so the report predicts, people will adapt and continue to buy it.

What they hadn't figured into their plans is the fact that algae derived oil can be made for less than $15 per barrel. How can the oil shales and tar sands compete with that? Transport will be renewable and sustainable in the future but not because anyone got environmental.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Last I heard on that is population of the Western World, esp Europe is declining. The developing world is plateauing and will start declining later this century. The problem will be the increased consumption per individual.
ok. so in 45 years the global population is going to be what? greater or lesser than it is now?

I say it will be a 25% or more than it is now. That's huge... imagine traffic a decade from now. haha.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Banned

I don't deny that a nine billion population later this century will be a problem - the geometric increase of resources by the developing world (including China and India) is probably going to be the bigger problem.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by livvie
ok. so in 45 years the global population is going to be what? greater or lesser than it is now?

I say it will be a 25% or more than it is now. That's huge... imagine traffic a decade from now. haha.
What traffic??? Gas will be $1000/gal and we'll all be riding bicycles or skateboards. I say lets bring back the rickshaw that way we can burn off a little of that extra fuel around the mid sections......

Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
What traffic??? Gas will be $1000/gal and we'll all be riding bicycles or skateboards. I say lets bring back the rickshaw that way we can burn off a little of that extra fuel around the mid sections......
To repeat a post last night - the qualifying times to get into the Boston Marathon guarantees that nobody is overweight. If the EPA was as strict:
  • trucks/SUVs - 40mpg
  • sedans - 50mpg
  • subcompacts - 60mpg
  • fleet mpg - 50
Of course, Detroit continues to do a Rosie Ruiz number on the numbers.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

The graph on the Energy Information association (EIA) web site link below shows the Petroleum Supply Consumption and Imports 1970 - 2025.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/figure_95.html

It does not take a rocket scientist to see that as time goes forward the countries that we will need to import oil from have us over a barrel in a bigger and bigger way. The only way to prevent this is to develop our own internal alternate energy sources.