Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

New Sudbury Attack and Dust to Dust Praise

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Sudbury Attack and Dust to Dust Praise

One happy theory that I can entertain is this.

Smaller, leaner, lighter companies outside of Detroit will start delivering EVs to the market--highway speed capable, not NEVs. NEVs are already here and growing. These EVs might end up being more expensive, maybe even much more expensive, because those smaller companies wouldn't be able to leverage economy of scale like Detroit. However, since it's an EV, one's fuel costs are lower, and there are lots of ongoing maintenance costs (oil, exhaust, et al.) which would be eliminated. One thing that was said on WKTEC is that the motors in EVs could prove to have significantly longer lifespans than ICEs. If so, then a person considering a $30K car might have to step up to a $60K car. Because of a longer expected lifespan, a loan payoff period of 7 to 10 years might be reasonable. With lower maintenance and fuel costs one could justify a payment a higher monthly car payment. The cost of an EV might be financially break even with an ICE. This could tip the auto industry from Detroit to smaller EV auto makers. Detroit then either adapts or dies. I'm OK with either outcome.

Imagine.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Sudbury Attack and Dust to Dust Praise

Originally Posted by finman
If the d-a-m-n media would stop telling me I "need" 500 HP and 700 mile ranges...
HP has also been a function of the car industry. The makers improve efficiency, so they figure, "Cool, we can up the HP by 15% and still meet CAFE!" Yet another reason why CAFE numbers need to get raised, and significantly so. The car rags and the car guys want hotrods. If I were in that job, yeah, I guess I'd want something cool as well. Although, maybe I'm just weird, or getting older (41 in June), or whatever, but I'd much rather see cool in the form of PHEVs, EVs, carseat attachments that don't require a crowbar, dent resistant body panels that wouldn't crease at 15 mph, etc.

On range, I think once LI batteries hit, reality will begin to settle in and charging stations will start becoming available. As stations become available, a step in product improvement would likely be additional battery research leading to longer range batteries and shorter charge times.