Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Idle Free

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Vegetarian
Default Idle Free

Dedicated to helping communities and environmental groups reduce vehicle idling in an effort to conserve energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Idle Free

I know us hybrid drivers (and our cars) already know idling wastes gas, but thought you might want to take a look anyway, pass it on you your friends.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Idle Free

Thanks. I told my dad that I'd heard that he didn't need to run his car for so long to 'warm it up' in winter and he seemed skeptical, but now I have this to show him and perhaps he'll believe the Canadian government if he doesn't think I'm that authoritative.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Thanks. I told my dad that I'd heard that he didn't need to run his car for so long to 'warm it up' in winter and he seemed skeptical, but now I have this to show him and perhaps he'll believe the Canadian government if he doesn't think I'm that authoritative.

This has long been an big issue - especially in Canada. If you ask most canadians, they do not know... or if they do, they don't believe idling a vehicle is that bad. They simply don't always believe what the government says. Also, like our friends to the south, canadians can be blamed for prefering excess and convenience over sensibility and good science.

If you drive around most canadian cities you'll see many vehicles idling senselessly in the colder months. You know, those "comand start" equipped vehicles. People simply turn the vehicle ON remotely while parked in the parkade half an hour before they leave work? The argument ? Its pretty darn cold - they say - If it feels good for us it must certainly be good for the car. Besides , who are you to tell me how to use the fuel I pay for? - They say.

Leah, you know, for some of us it is like beating a dead horse. Many folks have chosen to literally invest in the newer generations instead through good education. The older crowds only seem to listen when the authorities issue Idling tickets.

So, I hope your dad can believe the advice of NRCan. That would would be far better than the deaf ear many canadians give that advice.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-04-2006, 05:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Is there a website to promote not running the AC with the windows down? I'm blown away at how many people, smart-seeming people, think this is the best way to run the AC.

Hybrids can solve the idle problem but only an increase in knowledge can crack this egg... .

Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Although I never talked about it with my dad after I forwarded him this article (didn't want to seem too pushy about it), I noticed something this weekend. We were driving home after a sporting event, and he turned the engine off while we were stopped at a long light in a mob of cars. Not very long- he turned it right back on again when the chance came to creep forward-- but then he keyed back off again. We sat there through about four traffic light cycles, mostly with the engine off. I didn't say a word! But I smiled to myself.

to you, too!

Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Banned

My local Walmart has a "No Ideling" sign - anyone else see them?

Old 10-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Thumbs up Re: Idle Free

Way to go leah. Nice way to handle it too. Not saying anything is great because sometimes when we say something it makes the person feel self concious about it.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Although I never talked about it with my dad after I forwarded him this article (didn't want to seem too pushy about it), I noticed something this weekend. We were driving home after a sporting event, and he turned the engine off while we were stopped at a long light in a mob of cars. Not very long- he turned it right back on again when the chance came to creep forward-- but then he keyed back off again. We sat there through about four traffic light cycles, mostly with the engine off. I didn't say a word! But I smiled to myself.

to you, too!

Beautiful example, Leah. Congrats.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What did your dad do about shifting? I've found turning the engine off on a typical car like that clumsy because you usually need to stop rolling, put it in park, turn the engine off, then when it comes time, turn it on - which takes a moment - then shift it into drive again. If you avoid the shifting part, the car usually won't even start!

Old 10-09-2006, 03:00 PM

As for shifting, I don't remember quite what he did, but here's how it generally works for me- as long as I don't take the key OUT of the ignition, I can key off in either drive or neutral. I've heard it's better for the car to do it in neutral, so that's what I do when I'm trying to FAS at a long stoplight when the AS didn't kick in for some reason- I move one click from D to N, then turn the key, and then key back on in N, and move one click back to D.

Quick Reply: Idle Free

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands