Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrids sell, but lack battery technology upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Engineering first
Wink Hybrids sell, but lack battery technology upgrade

http://www.boston.com/cars/news/arti...ology_upgrade/

Originally Posted by The_Boston_Globe
. . .
Other manufacturers such as Honda, Nissan, Ford, and General Motors also offer hybrids to an increasingly fuel-conscious clientele. Every manufacturer claims to be developing more efficient batteries, more efficient engines, and better designs.

But this class is not growing as fast as Toyota's sales achievement might suggest. In fact, looking ahead to 2008, what's notable is not a bunch of new models. What is notable is what is missing.
. . .
The delay was reportedly caused by snags in developing new batteries for the electric system. The next Prius was expected to use new lithium-ion batteries. Currently, the Prius uses nickel metal hydride batteries, which take up more space and are not as efficient. Previously, Toyota set a goal of reducing the size of the battery pack in the next Prius by 50 percent, while also increasing its efficiency.

The delay is apparently to give Toyota engineers time to retrofit the new Prius design with the old-style nickel metal hydride batteries they had hoped to be rid of. At least initially, the new Prius will still have nickel metal hydride batteries. Lithium ion power is not ready for prime time; it gets unstable under extreme pressure and is apparently too unstable for automotive use at this stage.
. . .
Not to throw a wet towel on the subject but I'm not sure battery chemistry is that important to hybrid mileage. I suspect the key is efficient engine management and my studies indicate warm-up and ICE heat management are critical.

From what I can tell, a combination of ultra-capacitors and a smaller NiMH battery pack would be enough. The critical characteristic appears to be the rate energy can be stored and drawn, not the amount unless you are trying to do a lot of hill climbing at high speeds.

Now if asked to design an electric vehicle, I would look at metal-air batteries. They have high energy densities and discharge characteristics and can be designed for rapid, mechanical recharging. As for LiON batteries, I wish them well in their development but I'm not holding my breath.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: Hybrids sell, but lack battery technology upgrade

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Now if asked to design an electric vehicle, I would look at metal-air batteries. They have high energy densities and discharge characteristics and can be designed for rapid, mechanical recharging. As for LiON batteries, I wish them well in their development but I'm not holding my breath.
Bob Wilson
Problem right now is the power density. You can get a little current over a long period, but it has to go a long way to be useful for a hybrid's burst power demands. If it could be done, the best way would be to marry it to a large ultacapacitor bank.

BTW, Lithium does not go away if we go in this direction. Yardly has published some interesting stuff on large scale Lithium Air battery research.

To get to high density, I don't think it will be Zinc.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Hybrids sell, but lack battery technology upgrade

Originally Posted by FastMover
Problem right now is the power density. You can get a little current over a long period, but it has to go a long way to be useful for a hybrid's burst power demands. If it could be done, the best way would be to marry it to a large ultacapacitor bank.
Mostly because the current air-zinc batteries work at room temperature. Higher temperatures are the key with efficient heat exchanging.
Originally Posted by FastMover
BTW, Lithium does not go away if we go in this direction. Yardly has published some interesting stuff on large scale Lithium Air battery research.

To get to high density, I don't think it will be Zinc.
I agree about zinc and think either aluminum or iron would be better. Aluminum for energy density or iron for oxide for handling. I prefer oxides that don't become dangerously alkaline in water.

Bob Wilson