Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrids in Hollywood

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Hybrids in Hollywood

I got to thinking today: how often are hybrids depicted in the movies? Or, even on TV?

I did a search for movies on greenhybrid and came up with three threads that members reported seeing a hybrid on the silverscreen. The first being, a Prius on West Wing. The second was a Prius in Garfield the Movie. And the third was the Insight in Be Cool.

I was amazed the other day when my wife was flipping through the TV channels and on the show Desperate Housewives, there was a shot of two people in a house talking, when in the background, out the window, a Prius drove by!

I'm also guessing it's easier to spot a Prius, so they'd stand out better. So if a HCH, HAH, FEH, etc would pass by, we'd never know without getting a good shot of the vehicle.

Has anyone else seen a hybrid in a movie? Post it here!

Old 11-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Vegetarian
Default Re: Hybrids in Hollywood

some one posted there was a prius in kicking and screaming. i think i might have seen one in something... i forget what i was watching... but it might not have been, it was in some parking lot, the shot was of someone talking, the parking lot was in the background and blurry. it was hard to tell.

edit: oh! also i heard the mini's in the italian job had to be specially made to be electric so they could be driven in the subway... or tube, or whatever.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:40 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

OK, off the top of my head:

The Day After Tomorrow- Citrus Yellow Insight driven by Dennis Quaid
Coach Cooper- Dirt colored HCH in the background in the school parking lot
War of the Worlds- In the background on the street at the beginning of the movie
Mean Girls- red Insight driven by Lindsey Lohan's parents
The One- a silver and a red Insight, background vehicles
Scary Movie III- Prius I driven by what's her name, the main character
National Security- Prius I background vehicle

UPDATES AFTER ORIGINAL POST:

Kicking & Screaming- Will Ferrell drives a Prius

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited by rigger; 11-14-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:51 PM

Prius in Family Guy:

Old 11-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Adam West drove a Prius in a recent episode of King of Queens.

Kind of a weird co-incidence, but the latest issue of My Ford has an article about Fords in Hollywood. The FEH has been in Alias, Point Pleasant, Barbershop, and Curb your Enthusiasm, tied for the widest showing of any Ford in the article (Explorer is the other). The conventional Escape has a mere single showing, appearing in Second Time Around.

Also, it seems (To me) that it's pretty clear that the e-surance commercials hybrid is a FEH. (Robot tearing down trees.)

Old 11-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

The other night I saw a Prius on "Without a Trace". I don't usually watch it, so I don't know if it was a repeat or not. The protagonists were on the trail of a woman who had dropped something off at a thrift store, so when she came in again, the store clerk called them. But she saw him calling and it spooked her, so she left. There was a shot of her car pulling off, and just as I was about to open my mouth (to say, "Hey, that looked like a Prius!"), someone (the clerk?) on the show said something like, "She just left in a blue Prius"! So not only was the car there, they even mentioned it by name. Anyone else see that? Do you think Toyota paid for the product placement?

Old 11-15-2005, 04:54 AM
Enthusiast

Weren't there a bunch of Insights in Cat in the Hat?...Nevermind...here they are. (Not Insights):

Last edited by roblyman; 11-15-2005 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:13 AM

Hi Roblyman:

___Those automobiles look like stretched Focus ZX5’s with Insight rear skirts? I would love to have one of those cartoon vehicles with a Ford eCVT, pack, and the 2.0e that was atkinsonized

___Nice screenshot!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-15-2005, 03:48 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Hey Rob, sure enough - those are Ford Focus ZX5's with fender skirts, "oddball paint color" and Moon wheel covers. The first time I saw the movie I had to do a second glance to as I initially thought they were Insights too. Then I looked a bit more closely and saw the 4drs. It's a mistake many make .

Old 12-02-2005, 06:28 PM

I'm watching Ghost Whisperer on TV right now. The new show with Jennifer Love Hewett. Anyways, she just visited with someone that has a grey Prius in the driveway.

Quick Reply: Hybrids in Hollywood

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands