Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid Vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Vandalism

Originally Posted by Whiterook
No, no.
Listen guys. I may be a little bit crazy, but not totally crazy.
Point #1) As I mentioned, I waited until I got into slow traffic, around 25mph.
Point #2) In PA, presumption of guilt in a rear end collision is always with the party who failed to maintain safe following distance.
Point #3) "Yes indeed officer, I was sure I saw someone's house cat run out in front of my car. Hitting my brakes was just automatic."
Point #4) It would be the semi truck driver who would lose his job after explaining to his boss how he got into a rear end collision. I'd simply go buy another car.
Just remember, be careful, because that person may just happen to be beside you, or behind you, at the next light, and it could be a long red light....
Not that I haven't felt that way a few times on the inside myself, of course...

Old 04-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by Whiterook
Yup.
The worst was a semi trailer driver who kept riding my rear bumper and beeping his horn. ... I SLAMMED on the brakes.
In Florida, we have a statute that says you are required to stop whenever you hear an "emergency signal". Elsewhere in the same code, the part of the car that makes a loud sound, and that you activate by pushing the button on the steering wheel, is defined as the "emergency signaling device." Thats right -- whenever you hear a car honk its horn, in Florida, you are actually required to stop!

I don't think anyone ever does. At least not down here in the congested part of southeast Florida. I can't imagine stopping every time I hear a horn -- I would never get anywhere, and I would surely get rear-ended. And, if everyone did it, traffic wouldn't move at all.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

People do crazy things now that gas prices are so high. Look at the anger they vent to employees of gas stations that have nothing to do with pricing. As gas prices get higher, this stuff will only get worse.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by medicmike
True, just as there is no one (yet) to accuse for the Prius vandalism.
Good luck with the detective work. You already established that it was actually vandalism, and you know the motive. Or was that just a reflexive action?

As unbelievable as it may sound, people do park uncomfortably close to other lone cars at the far end of a parking lot. The only thing you got is that no-one owned up to doing the damage, which could also mean that they aren't aware of it.

The problem with a persecution complex is that you're ready to assume the worst in everyone. Hybrid vehicles aren't that sacred. But the more lashing out that you guys do toward the great unwashed, the more people are apt to to think of hybrid owners as arrogant, self-righteous, and childish.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Hi All;
I am happy to say that my household has managed to resolve the 'hybrid envy' issue. My BF drives a big 'ole pig of a Dodge Ram truck. After several months of hearing me sing the praises of my FE, he reluctantly agreed to start driving my old Toyota Corolla to commute to work every day. Now, he enjoys the gas savings, and still gets to enjoy the big gas hog on weekends. Everybody's happy.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by exbauer
Has anybody experienced vandalism to their hybrid? A couple of weeks ago I was parked downtown and I had dropped off a friend at a rental car place and was in there for 10 mins. It was early morning on a Sunday. When I walked back out to my car somebody had spit on my car. How childish is that?
I live in Chicago (obviously) and have never seen a vandalized hybrid. Granted smashed windows are likely to be replaced quickly, but as this is a big drinking town are you sure we aren't getting the whole story here? Any political or otherwise statement bumper stickers here? Drunk people will kick in your window without thinking twice if they disagree with a bumper sticker you have. Something to think about and one of the reasons why I don't use my car as a billboard for my idealogical beliefs. Its just asking for trouble and really influencing nobody.

Also even _if_ they do get caught (and thats a big if) they aren't likely to do enough time in jail to learn from it. Property crimes are treated like rote paperwork by courts.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by spinner
Good luck with the detective work. You already established that it was actually vandalism, and you know the motive. Or was that just a reflexive action?

The problem with a persecution complex is that you're ready to assume the worst in everyone. Hybrid vehicles aren't that sacred. But the more lashing out that you guys do toward the great unwashed, the more people are apt to to think of hybrid owners as arrogant, self-righteous, and childish.
I said it was vandalism b/c there was no "dent." A tire transfer or sideswipe froma vehciel that size would not have been that short and would have had to have left a dent. My wife had the car, so I must go by what she said.
Was it an honest accident, albeit hit-and-run? Maybe. What I'm saying I find most annoying is the irresponsibility (or ignorance, in the case of vandalism) of some people whether it was directed at a hybrid or not.

"Childish" is a bit much and "persecution complex" is kind of insulting. In the eyes of those who pay over $100 a fill-up, hybrids may seem "smug." Am I more intolerant, for lack of a better word, when I hear these same individuals complain about high gas prices while shopping for a new 12-15 mpg SUV and realize that, to some degree, their excess consumption drives up the price of fuel for everyone? Yes I probably am.
I only stand up for what I think is the right thing to do. If that offends others, that's not my intention.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChicagoHCHII
I live in Chicago (obviously) and have never seen a vandalized hybrid. Granted smashed windows are likely to be replaced quickly, but as this is a big drinking town are you sure we aren't getting the whole story here? Any political or otherwise statement bumper stickers here? Drunk people will kick in your window without thinking twice if they disagree with a bumper sticker you have. Something to think about and one of the reasons why I don't use my car as a billboard for my idealogical beliefs. Its just asking for trouble and really influencing nobody.
Unfortunately, you're right about that here in the Chicago area.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by jill.g@verizon.net
Hi All;
I am happy to say that my household has managed to resolve the 'hybrid envy' issue. My BF drives a big 'ole pig of a Dodge Ram truck. After several months of hearing me sing the praises of my FE, he reluctantly agreed to start driving my old Toyota Corolla to commute to work every day. Now, he enjoys the gas savings, and still gets to enjoy the big gas hog on weekends. Everybody's happy.
That's a great rationale. Perhaps I can finally convince my wife to let me get that Corvette I've always wanted...

Old 04-20-2008, 11:43 AM

Good luck Mike!