Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid Use Tax! On News Last Night.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Use Tax! On News Last Night.

So maybe the people that are pushing for special taxes for hybrid owners are jealous non-hybrid owners? Kinda like, "oh, they think they're getting one up on me by paying less for fuel and getting a federal tax break?! We'll see about that!"

Old 11-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGo
Where are they going to get more money ? From SUV owners who tend to vote repubican, or hybrid owners, who tend not to ?

OK, is there some correlation between SUV’s and Republicans, and Hybrid’s and ..? Whatever! Guess I bought the wrong car. But I think I'll keep it anyway!

Jeff
'06 Alabaster Silver HCH

--------------

It's surely a Republican idea. After all, they're bought and sold by Big Oil. They are the party of greed, stupidity, the King James Bible, and billionares. What do people think will happen when they vote for a party that annoints a president who is so stupid that he can't pronounce three- and four-sylable words (like "nuk'ya'ler" and "gaz'a'leck'tric hybrid")?

Then there's the Bush Mouthpiece (in the person of Rush Limbaugh) who thinks that hybrid owners need to be punished (reference his "hybrid owners are Atheists and un-American" tirade of 11/23/2005).

A use-tax on hybrids would basically kill the industry in America, and fatten the coffers of SUV hogs like GM. Toyota and Honda would still engineer hybrids for Japan and Europe. the rest of the would would, of course, keep laughing at us as they have done constantly since 2000 (with the stolen election of "Dubya the Stupid Cowpoke".)

I am so angry that I can't see straight.

Last edited by AshenGrey; 11-29-2005 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-29-2005, 03:02 PM

Did you know that Al Gore had more money in oil that Bush does? At any rate. Please talk about specific Republicans instead of generalizing. It is offensive. Not all and probably not a majority are even close to being like that. Do you have any Republican friends? The contempt you have seems to indicate no.

I also suggest you do some research before you start spewing hatred. You will be supprised at how many Democrats support such ideas.

Also, look at the poll about political leanings on GreenHybrid. Only slightly more of greenhybrid's member base polled are Democrats vs. Republicans. BTW, I am an independant that leans conservative and I have never owned nor had the desire to own an SUV. I think you will find that a majority of Republicans are conservative with their money and your SUV argument is probably the opposite of what you think.

Again. Please when criticizing refrain from attacking groups and attack only the specific person you have an issue with.

Tom

Old 11-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's surely a Republican idea. After all, they're bought and sold by Big Oil.
So far the only states that have suggested (or succeded in) implementing these wacky taxes are overwhelmingly controlled by Democrats (California, Oregon, New Jersey). Personally, I believe both parties have a horrible habit of overspending, and trying to add taxes in some quite ridiculous areas. In reality I don't think the tax-per-mile proposals or hybrid penalties are a way to tax more fairly so much a way to tax more, period.

Also, speaking of the California legislature (I know the most about them) not only do they want to tax hybrids, they have already passed and would like to pass plenty more taxes on SUVs. It's not so much a pro-oil ploy as taxing anything that is an outlier from "average" in any area, be it high mileage, low mileage, or whatever.

Last edited by Double-Trinity; 11-29-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Quote:It's surely a Republican idea. After all, they're bought and sold by Big Oil. They are the party of greed, stupidity, the King James Bible, and billionares.
Really now, this is borderline troll material. There are politicians equally spread across Republican and Democrats that have been bought and sold by big oil (and who are billionares, and who do stupid things, and...). Just because GW is from oil, does not mean all Republicans are - nor does it means that Democrats are blameless.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:11 PM

It's inevitable that gas taxes will have to be raised because using less gas means less tax is paid. It's perfectly good to reduce gasoline consumption and money spent on gas, but it's not viable to reduce the taxes paid for getting gas without dire consequences since such an enormous amount of money is paid as gas tax. But of course the only fair thing to do is to to raise gas taxes across the board instead of singling out hybrids. And Priuses, by far the most common hybrid, are still very rare.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 PM

--------------

It's surely a Republican idea. After all, they're bought and sold by Big Oil. They are the party of greed, stupidity, the King James Bible, and billionares. What do people think will happen when they vote for a party that annoints a president who is so stupid that he can't pronounce three- and four-sylable words (like "nuk'ya'ler" and "gaz'a'leck'tric hybrid")?
[/QUOTE]

Ever hear John Kennedy pronounce "quarter"? Don't call him a cowpoke as he went to Yale and Harvard..rejected at UT so whats that tell you! Kevin

Last edited by texashchman; 11-29-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
It's surely a Republican idea. ... I am so angry that I can't see straight.
I sort of wish you had been too angry both to see straight, and to type. I'm afraid you may have done more to discredit your point by posting.

I'm more liberal than conservative myself, but many of my friends are those horrible Republicans you slander, and they are neither pro-oil nor anti-hybrid; in fact, quite the opposite is true. Some even have hybrids. So my advice is to put your broad brush away.

Hate is ugly, whether it comes from the right, or from the left.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Contributor ($)

O.k. guys. Let's get this back on track.
Drop the left/right hate remarks.
Thanks.

Last edited by ericbecky; 11-29-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:51 PM

drop the left/right remarks? I didn't even get to weigh in with my hypothesis that this "story" must have aired on "Fox News."

I've tried to find a hybrid use tax proposal on Google News, and can only find stories about hybrid tax deductions. Until someone produces a link, I think this thread should be locked because it's gotten completely absurd.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Use Tax! On News Last Night.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands