Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid bus experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Proud to be GM
Default Re: Hybrid bus experience

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi Martin,
I didn't have the numbers and I believe you helped us find out there are over 500 out there. This is not something talked about much, any idea about how many have been made and put in service?

One humble request, if you learn of a good technical paper or illustrated break-out chart and paper, I'd be interested in learning more about the 2-Mode system. The available photos and light-weight discussions aren't very detailed. I figured when the Canadian plant began rolling them out, a lot more information would become available. But if something shows up early, I'm 'all ears.'

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
Bob,

Not ignorin' ya here. Just haven't come across anything "free domain" that you wouldn't already know.

Peace,

Martin

Old 04-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

More hybrid buses coming to San Francisco:

http://www.foxreno.com/news/11591650/detail.html

This is a bit old but perhaps we missed it previously.

DAS

Old 04-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

19 more IC/Enova buses in the pipeline:

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2007/04/25/2553057.htm

DAS

Old 04-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's interesting. It didn't say much on that site or the hybrid school bus website it directed the readers to look at about how a particular school district can get involved in the program. Is there an application process, an information session, what? Or are they not really looking for more schools to take part right now? It was hard to tell.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Proud to be GM

Latest on the GM Hybrid Bus Fleet.

HISTORIC KING COUNTY INCREASES FLEET TO MORE THAN 700 GM-HYBRID POWERED BUSES .... King County, located in Seattle, Wash., was awarded a landmark contract today for the purchase of up to 500 articulated buses, most of which will be powered by the GM 2-mode hybrid system.

The five-year contract, which could be worth as much as $400 million, is between King County and bus-manufacturer New Flyer Industries. GM supplies New Flyer with the hybrid system for the buses.

King County has been operating a fleet of 214 GM hybrid-powered buses since 2004 and with the addition of this contract, King County could have a total of 714 buses, making it the largest fleet of hybrid-articulated buses in history.

King County's efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and target global warming are among the most aggressive in the U.S.

Due to this strong environmental leadership, King County has one of the greenest transit agencies in the nation and GM is proud to supply its advanced hybrid technology to assist in this achievement.

Peace,

Martin

Old 05-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, Martin.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Engineering first

Hi Martin,

Originally Posted by martinjlm
Latest on the GM Hybrid Bus Fleet.

HISTORIC KING COUNTY INCREASES FLEET TO MORE THAN 700 GM-HYBRID POWERED BUSES .... King County, located in Seattle, Wash., was awarded a landmark contract today for the purchase of up to 500 articulated buses, most of which will be powered by the GM 2-mode hybrid system.

. . .
How many seats are on these buses and what sort of mileage are they rated at?

The reason I ask is I'd suggested that future 'marathon' effort incorporate a 'passenger-seat-mile' metric. This would allow the larger hybrids to effectively compete with the smaller ones. I suspect the hybrid bus has us all beat but won't know without the specifications. Perhaps the specs are located somewhere on the net?

Bob Wilson

Old 05-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi Martin,

How many seats are on these buses and what sort of mileage are they rated at?

The reason I ask is I'd suggested that future 'marathon' effort incorporate a 'passenger-seat-mile' metric. This would allow the larger hybrids to effectively compete with the smaller ones. I suspect the hybrid bus has us all beat but won't know without the specifications. Perhaps the specs are located somewhere on the net?

Bob Wilson
Well, since they are articulated I'd have to say that my official answer is "A lot".

But seriously, wouldn't you also have to factor in average ridership. Sometimes a lot of those seats will be empty. Other times you'll have standing room only. I do see what you are saying though. I simply do not know how many seats they have.

Peace,

Martin