Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Honda moving towards diesel over hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Honda moving towards diesel over hybrid

See hybrid for smaller vehicles, pushing ahead with diesel technology to bring it to US market without SCR reduction catalysts.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...nes_.html#more

Quite a turn around, they've been utterly opposed to diesel-tech for years!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:03 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Re: Honda moving towards diesel over hybrid

With the new cleaner diesel standards taking effect, you will see a lot of this in the next couple of years. Honda has made great diesels overseas for awhile. A diesel CR-V might make more sense than a hybrid CR-V

Old 08-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Archslater
With the new cleaner diesel standards taking effect, you will see a lot of this in the next couple of years. Honda has made great diesels overseas for awhile. A diesel CR-V might make more sense than a hybrid CR-V
A diesel-hybrid CR-V trumps both.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
A diesel-hybrid CR-V trumps both.

Bob Wilson
How about a plug-in diesel-hybrid CR-V? Get a full tank from the dealer and trade it in with the same fuel.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:44 AM

If a diesel can get the FE of a hybrid, why bother with a hybrid.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

It won't come soon enough for me ... well on the other hand, its probably not going to end up in the vehicle I want anyway? It sure would be nice to have a Pilot styled vehicle capable of traveling American highways with American sized kids and luggage and still get decent mileage. Currently I drive the VW TDI (45mpg) everywhere but suffer under 22mpg in the Honda Pilot when we need a 3rd row or to travel in snow. Some manufacturer has to recognize that there are a few here that would like a 30+ mpg 'car-like' SUV. (I know, I know ... the minivan is a wonderful family vehicle. Been there done that ... if you know what I mean)

Old 08-10-2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by livvie
If a diesel can get the FE of a hybrid, why bother with a hybrid.
Is that a SERIOUS question? If so, here is the serious answer:

The answer is pollution right now. Until the "clean diesel" engines make it to the USA, with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel available at 100% of the USA gas stations which sell diesel, and the advanced technology diesel Particulate Matter filters in place, and ALL 50 states allowing the sale of "new" diesel passenger cars, then diesel is far more polluting than hybrids.

My dream car is a 5-passenger sedan, DIESEL ELECTRIC PLUG-IN hybrid which gets 80 MPG in hybrid mode and gets about 60 miles in EV mode before starting the engine.

For less than $35,000. I'd trade my TCH on that car TODAY.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Banned

At least Honda is doing something!

What is GM doing? Ford?

Old 08-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Honda moving towards diesel over hybrid

Originally Posted by Orcrone
How about a plug-in diesel-hybrid CR-V? Get a full tank from the dealer and trade it in with the same fuel.
I love it!

short range EV - any distance is OK and preferably as option packages: (1) 1-2 mile standard, (2) 20 miles, option 1, (3) 40 miles, option 2 . . . Make the EV battery assembly for the options something that can be installed and removed so on a vacation or towing, the extra weight and space is available for luggage and sundries.

hybrid transmission - regenerative braking and provides standard EV mode.

diesel - sized for a sustained top speed of say 90 mph, turbo charged of course. Have optional tow package sized engine too. Also, needs an optional E100 and natural gas fuel capability.

exhaust heat recovery - provides auxillary cabin heating in the winter and uses ammonium absorbtion cooling cycle in the summer.

double-walled roof and light sensitive glass - tints the windows in sunlight and keeps the radiant heat out of the cabin.

radar assisted brakes, horn and cruise control - allows safe drafting of simularly equipped vehicles and trucks. Also, sounds the horn prior to a collision, automaticly.

rear view cameras - only one cabin, rear view mirror and the rest use low-profile, rear view cameras. Optional, front view, low-light camera for assisted night driving.

Now we're talking a serious 21st century vehicle.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 08-10-2006 at 08:37 AM. Reason: refined the design
Old 08-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

The entire article can be read on WWW.HondaNews.com.

Here is the article url
http://hondanews.com/CatID1000?mid=2...50254&mime=asc

Mike

Quick Reply: Honda moving towards diesel over hybrid

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands