Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Honda Announces Additional Details on New Small Hybrid Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Honda Announces Additional Details on New Small Hybrid Vehicle

Honda Announces Additional Details on New Small Hybrid Vehicle

Reduction in component size and manufacturing costs to improve hybrid affordability
05/20/2008 - TORRANCE, Calif. - Honda today announced additional details regarding its new small hybrid scheduled for introduction in early 2009, as part of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. CEO Takeo Fukui's mid-year address. An official name and full product details will be announced later this year.

In addition to weight reduction, a significant cost reduction in Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) components will result in the most affordable hybrid vehicle to date. This dedicated hybrid vehicle will be offered as a 5-door hatchback with seating for five passengers and will employ an exterior design concept that evokes the FCX Clarity fuel cell vehicle. Along with the Civic Hybrid, the new vehicle will be produced at an expanded IMA production line at Honda's Suzuka factory in Japan.

The new small gasoline/electric hybrid vehicle will have expected annual global sales of 200,000 units per year - approximately 100,000 of which are bound for the North American market. Following this launch, Honda also plans to introduce another unique small hybrid vehicle based on the CR-Z sports car first shown at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show as well as a Fit hybrid model. Including the Civic Hybrid, these four hybrid vehicles are expected to reach combined annual global sales of approximately 500,000 units.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/4510

Ken@Japan

Old 05-21-2008, 04:23 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Honda Announces Additional Details on New Small Hybrid Vehicle

Thanks!

Featuring seating for five passengers, distinctive styling and high-value amenities, the new hybrid will present an appealing package. Taking advantage of reductions in the size of components, the battery and the internal processing unit will be positioned below the rear cargo area, allowing the hatchback design to provide adequate cargo space to meet the needs of a family. Additionally, various technologies, including a function to assist more fuel efficient driving, are being installed to achieve a further improvement of practical fuel efficiency. With its affordable price, the new hybrid vehicle will represent the best value in its segment.
These are excellent improvements. The battery pack behind the passenger seat, along with the low height, made the Honda Civic Hybrid impractical for our family.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-21-2008, 05:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's going to be smaller than the Civic, and will be a 5-door hatchback? Sounds like a hybrid Honda Fit.

But the article goes on to say that Honda will also release a Fit hybrid "following" the release of the un-named hybrid in 2009. They also plan a hybrid sports car.

So they're going to have 4 small hybrid models in a few years: the Civic, the smaller-than-a-Civic, the Fit, and the CR-Z.

I hope Honda knows what they're doing. They really shot themselves in the foot with the Accord hybrid.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

So... the Fit Hybrid isn't a myth after all? Kewl!

What I wonder, however, is if a Fit hybrid and a second hybrid hatchback isn't going to be overkill. I'd like a Fit hybrid if it can be had by 2010 and has the improved IMA that offers limited EV mode (like the 2008 HCH has).

Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Energy Independence

This is ALL good news! Smaller, less expensive components, in smaller cars, including a Fit and a little sporty car (I would luv to see a hybrid CRV too). This is what we need - many choices in hybrids! They're FINALLY moving pretty quickly (out of the vaporware stage) onto the sales lots.
I say the more the merrier. It should raise hybrid awareness, and drive prices for hybrid components down further.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1stpik
It's going to be smaller than the Civic, and will be a 5-door hatchback? Sounds like a hybrid Honda Fit.

But the article goes on to say that Honda will also release a Fit hybrid "following" the release of the un-named hybrid in 2009. They also plan a hybrid sports car.

So they're going to have 4 small hybrid models in a few years: the Civic, the smaller-than-a-Civic, the Fit, and the CR-Z.

I hope Honda knows what they're doing. They really shot themselves in the foot with the Accord hybrid.
Too bad they cannot bring back the Insight. They had a state-of-the-art hybrid car developed way before its time. This car is so engineered and despite the published MPG, I am getting between 80-85. This is the type of car we need TODAY. The primary reason Honda created the Insight in early 2000s was to compete with the EV1 (GM's electric car- they chose to CRUSH). I hope Honda adds many more hybrid (really- PLUG-INS) vehicles to their line-up.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Hi Valierant!

I'd like to see a Honda PHEV also. However, I don't see how that can happen with IMA. As efficient and compact as IMA is, that architecture just isn't the right one for PHEV capability. It's the best mild-hybrid system ever invented, but it is still a mild hybrid.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'd like to see Honda (or any manuf for that matter) make a sporty two door hybrid car along the lines of the current Civic Coupe, but with a sloped hatchback. Under 3000 pounds, seating for 4 and equipped at an LX-type trim level. Call it the "Commute". 50/60/55 mpg rating and priced around $19K.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Indigo
...It's the best mild-hybrid system ever invented, but it is still a mild hybrid.
Indeed, but it is not a mild-hybrid either.

The correct architectural definition is "power assist hybrid" since the primary power plant displacement was significantly reduced with the expectation that an electric assist will make up for the deficit. We all know how painfully slow the HCH can get without electric assist.

BAS systems in the other hand typify a mild hybrid architecture.

Cheers;

MSantos