Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Help wanted

Leah - I'll be getting back to you soon, but am still trying to figure out how to navigte the web site. And, yes, I am back on the IMPA board for 2006.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: P.S.

I appreciate your offer of help. Will get back to you before long. And, I'll be looking around the web site to figure it out.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:18 AM
'lectronimo

Originally Posted by nickyost
... One of the big questions I need to have answered is: "Who are the people who buy hybrids and why do they do it?" I...
My reason(s) to drive a hybrid are simple: save gas, stated another way, limit my dependence upon oil. My little way of "sticking it to the oil elite", those that profit to excess for political or personal gain.

Recently I read Benjamin Franklin's diary, taking interest in his "13 virtues". (see http://www.ushistory.org/franklin/au...phy/page38.htm)

Driving a hybrid leaves me with a sense of fulfillment with respect to two of the virtues:

o "Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself, i.e., waste nothing."

o "Moderation: Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve."

But I must admit the feeling of "sticking it to the oil elite" is a satisfying emotion. (Some may argue that this notion is counter to Franklin's virtue of "Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly." I can live with that.)

I also like the lesser environmental impact of reduced fuel consumption facilitated by hybrids. More "habitude" to the virtues mentioned above.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Help wanted

Originally Posted by nickyost
"Who are the people who buy hybrids and why do they do it?"
I hadn't heard from my e-mail to Nick. Regardless, the question has merit.

A network engineer, I bought our 03 Prius after our '91 Camry was in an accident and the insurance company took the title (repair cost greater than blue book value.) But unlike 2001 when we could only buy new, we had the option of buying a used Prius. Via Ebay, we got a good deal.

I was disappointed that in 2001, the "high mileage program" was defunded to pay for the hydrogen program. So when it came time to replace the '91 Camry and the price was right, a used hybrid-electric was the right answer at the right time.

Any new technology has a learning curve and that has been true with the Prius I. I've enjoyed learning the systems and investigating ways to improve performance. I'm 8th of 44 and advancing and there are more 'low hanging fruit' to pick; automatic pulse and glide and automatic load shedding.

Since it is a used car, beyond the 3 yr/ 36,000 mile range and well into the 8 yr/ 80,000 mile warrantee, I feel free to experiment. Given the excellent mechanical and electrical systems, the Prius I is a great 'project' car.

Eventually I plan to investigate more radical approaches. The transaxle could be more efficient; a different set of control laws could make it a sweet EV; it can be a whole-house emergency power source; and how to get usable energy from the exhaust heat.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry, BWilson. I need to find a better way to communicate with you because your note has raised questions in my mind. Nick