Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Help wanted

I am beginning research on a book about hybrid cars. One of the big questions I need to have answered is: "Who are the people who buy hybrids and why do they do it?" It is my belief that hybrid car buyers are like members of an exclusive club in their appreciation of the technology. I also understand from what I've read that hybrid buyers do not make their purchases primarily based on the idea of saving money. They know it will be a long time until that happens. On the contrary, they make their purchases for more noble reasons - the environment, not depleting fossil fuel reserves, reducing reliance on the Mideast, etc. I am looking for people willing to discuss these topics with me. I am also interested in learning of owners' experiences regarding maintenance, durability, driveability, whether they would buy another hybrid. I will respect anybody's privacy but would like to use names and at least regional addresses to add authenticity to what I write. But even if you don't want to be identified, I am interested in what you have to say.

And just who am I? I am a freelance automotive writer with more than 25 years experience. I contribute to newspapers and websites and am a director of the International Motor Press Assn. I have contributed to books over the years, but this will be the first under my name. Previously, I was a career journalist - reporter, editor, columnist, automotive writer - with a daily newspaper. And, yes, I have driven a variety of hybrid cars for evaluation purposes and will be drivng a few more over the next month or so.

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Nick Yost

Old 02-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Green Missionary
Default Re: Help wanted

Hi Nick,

We have had a few people who have asked those of us in the forum various questions about hybrids, including the motivation regarding why we got them. These range from high school term papers to professional automotive journalists.

One method which has worked pretty well is to post questions here. Those of us who feel comfortable can answer on the thread as well. Those of us who have privacy concerns could reach you via personal message on this site. This could be used for a conversation about hybrids or for arranging an alternative communication link such as email, phone, or smail.

You can also search these threads to get a sense how we would answer your questions. There is a thread in the FEH section, for example, with posts from owners explaining their purchasing decisions. Searching is a bit of a chore, but isn't too bad once you get the hang of the site.

In general, one description of hybriders is: greenie, cheapie, techie -- pick any two (or more).

Good luck with your efforts.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:36 PM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by John M. Dwyer
In general, one description of hybriders is: greenie, cheapie, techie -- pick any two (or more).
All three here

Old 02-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Dear Nick Yost,

I bought my Honda HCH 2003 for several reasons:

- I am totally enthralled with technology. Hybrids are the first *genuine* step forward in automotive technology since the Model-T.
- I do what I can to reduce the negative effect my existence has on the environment. I also replaced my oil furnace with a gas unit, and all the lighting fixtures in my house use flourescent tubes.
- I like the fact that my car does not have integrated into it very many animal products (i.e. no leather, suede, etc.)
- In my previous job, I had to drive a *lot*, and I found it very convenient being able to drive over 500 miles between fill-ups.
- Honda has a well-deserved reputation for making high-quality, modestly priced cars.

Those are *my* reasons! And my car is still running just fine after 93,000 miles. I hope my commentary helps.

You can read a more complete review of my HCH experiences at my website. Just click www.gaianar.com and then click the "commentary" link in the lower-left part of the window.

With thanks,

Chris Todd
Baltimore

Old 02-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Banned

Hi,

In September 2000, my 1988 CRX HF was rear-ended and declared totaled after 250,000 good miles. Getting an Insight in many ways seemed like getting a hybrid version of the car I just lost. Back then the choice of 40mpg+ vehicles was limited.

Economy and environment appeal to me, but as a programmer the high-tech of the hybrid appeals to me as well. The dashboard makes driving for best fuel economy like playing a video game.

I would not be suprized if a greater percentage of hybrid drivers have technical professions, drove economical cars, might be more idealistic than the general population. I don't know that, but it might be worth looking into.

If you are familiar with the book The High and Mighty that's critical of SUVs - these questions might be helpful as they are addressed in that book:
  • Are hybrid drivers very concerned about how others see them?
  • Do hybrid drivers see their vehicle as a statement?
  • Are hybrid drivers more self-absorbed, or community-oriented?
  • Are hybrid drivers more sensitive or less sensitive to others?
  • Are hybrid drivers more or less concerned with road safety? (I suspect the answer is they are safety oriented in a different way - more defensive driving - less automotive armor)
  • Are hybrid drivers more or less spritual than the general population?
  • SUV marketers seem to think their market is concerned with power and virility - does it matter that much to hybrid drivers?
I don't mind my name being mentioned, etc. Hope this was helpful.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Pretty much what Chris Todd said, for the first two points. I'm not as concerned about animal products, though his fourth point rings true also (I don't drive "a lot", but I do commute 40 miles round trip every day, and have occasional longer trips as well).

We were very excited about hybrid technology from the very beginning (both for its environmental benefits and gas savings), but were waiting for a vehicle that suited our lifestyle (and weather and terrain). When we heard about the Ford Escape Hybrid, it sounded PERFECT for us. Living in upstate NY (rural, lake-effect snow country) we need at least one 4x4 or AWD vehicle, and we also go on long car-camping trips in the summer, so we need the space of a small SUV. Unfortunately, it took so long to become a reality! But it finally did, and we got one in April '05. We love it! I found GreenHybrid and got hooked on the hypermiling thing - it makes every day's commute like playing a video game. Even the kids are into it. And when you stop at a light and the gas engine shuts off, it gives you (well, some of us) a very serene feeling, knowing you're not burning gas or polluting the air.

The discussions here got me thinking about whether we *really* needed two AWD SUVs (our other vehicle was a V-6 Escape), and about how it was kind of wasteful for me to be driving even the FEH back and forth to work on MOST (non-snowy) days. I have to go over a big hill, that gets more snow at the top and is sometimes not plowed, so I thought I needed the 4x4 - but on most days a smaller car would really be a more reasonable option. The allure of the Prius' 50+ mpg was drawing me, as was the prospect of a $3,150 tax credit effective in 2006, so I test-drove one. And I fell in love with it - it's just so cool in so many ways. The whole car is so quiet, and the hybrid system operation (e.g., gas engine turning on and off) is much more "seamless" than in the FEH. The "high tech" display, smart key system, and other neat features also won me over. And it's a very "solid" car for one so small - I feel safe in it, and I don't feel like I'm sitting on the pavement (after driving small SUVs for the past 10+ years, many cars ride so low that I feel that way). I bought my '06 Prius in January '06, and have driven it to work every day but 2 since then (we have had a very mild winter, admittedly, but the Vehicle Stability Control actually does OK in light snowy conditions); on the worst days I take the FEH. We also have the FEH, which my husband drives, and are attempting to sell the V-6 Escape.

I will probably never own another vehicle that's not a hybrid (or something more advanced). It's the next wave of automotive technology.

Hope this is helpful. Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Enthusiastically Active

There was recently an editorial in Car and Driver that summed it up best for many of us. It discussed how hybrid should just be viewed as another option, like a leather interior, sunroof, 4wd, or a navigation system. People never question drivers of cars with these options about when they will pay for themselves, it is just a lifestyle choice.

My wife and I do expect to make up for the $2500 premium paid for our Civic Hybrid relatively quickly, because of the tax deduction and because she commutes approx. $25,000 miles per year, but we also wanted a hybrid because we want to reduce dependence on oil. I admit that I am also a bit of a techie, and love the technology.

Interestingly, most people here see lower maintenance costs, because of the regenerative braking saving on brake wear, and because hybrids tend to be driven less aggressively than normal autos.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Banned
Default P.S.

Need to add my Insight had only a minor O2 sensor problem up to 94,000 miles when the IMA battery back was replaced - Honda footting 90% of the bill. It's clearly the most reliable car I've driven and agree with Archslater that the instant fuel economy display on the dashboard encourges better car treatment.

While I have not done the math, I've probably paid off the hybrid premium in fewer repairs, traffic tickets, and reduced fuel consumption. Expect to get at least five more years off this 2000 Insight.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: P.S.

I don't mind talking about, writing about, or being asked about my experiences, views, or anything of that nature. You can use my name, my town, my state, whatever.

Though, I have a feeling that if one were so motivated, they could probably just look at my posts, and probably learn all they need to. But if you'd like to post questions, do an interview, PM, or email me, feel free to do so.

I don't mind telling my tale to those who ask, the good, as well as the bad, and the rest is silence.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Having looked you up a bit (the International Motor Press Association website has a list of 2005 officers which does not include you, but an announcement mentions you as a vice president in 2003, so I assume you are truthful and the website is simply outdated) and read a couple of your articles, I am impressed. It's nice to see good technical writing.

(for those who are interested, here's one on an SUV:
http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend...0028-2380r.htm

and one on the HAH '05:
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/HondaAccordHybrid/ )

I'd be happy to answer your questions. Contact me via this thread as to the best way of doing that. As for the 'who buys hybrids and why' question, my first reaction is that there was a thread in this forum on masters degrees and California that generated some interesting information you might find useful (there are lots of graduate degrees here at Green Hybrid and lots of people have California connections) and if you want the spectrum of geographic data, a quick scan through the members list will get you an idea of the locations of those willing to share the information. We also started a map on another site to chart our locations.

Quick Reply: Help wanted

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands