Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

GM Stockholders -- clear their throat

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:03 AM
Engineering first
Default GM Stockholders -- clear their throat

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...606070339/1014

"Stockholders rise up, push GM changes
Historic resolutions strive to remodel how board is elected

BY MICHAEL ELLIS
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

June 7, 2006

WILMINGTON, Del. -- In a historic show of investors' wishes for change at General Motors Corp., GM shareholders approved two proposals Tuesday to change how board members are elected.

The votes came against the recommendation of the board of directors and marked the first time in the nearly 100-year history of GM that investor proposals had passed. . . . "

Understand that as it relates to changing priorities, this is a the gentlest of rebuke to a company that needs to bring technology to the showroom floor. If I know my CEOs and Board of Directors, I expect them to react, hopefully by unleashing the creativity that exists in GM. But if it results in chasing down the H(2) rabbit hole, the next rebuke won't be nearly so gentle.

Showroom floor is where GM's high mileage engineering belongs, not PowerPoint engineering of "the emperor's new H(2) clothes."

Bob Wilson

Old 06-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GM Stockholders -- clear their throat

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
If I know my CEOs and Board of Directors, I expect them to react, hopefully by unleashing the creativity that exists in GM. But if it results in chasing down the H(2) rabbit hole, the next rebuke won't be nearly so gentle.

Showroom floor is where GM's high mileage engineering belongs, not PowerPoint engineering of "the emperor's new H(2) clothes."

Bob Wilson
Nice post. I completely agree that GM MUST start putting technology in the showrooms if it wants to regain it's marketshare.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: GM Stockholders -- clear their throat

There were 2 articles in today's paper, that is one of them, and one in yesterdays about how much money Kirkorian has lost, as well as some statements from Wagoner and Kirkorians right hand man. (York?)

Anyway, yeah, pretty much that GM's got to actually make changes instead of talk about them seems to be all the articles bottom lines.