Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

GM Mulling on FCV Development

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GM Mulling on FCV Development

A while back I read about on-board reformers that would allow you to run a FCV on gasoline. Emissions-wise I can't imagine that this would be much better than just burning it in an engine. I also can't speak to the efficiency of the reforming process. But I can say that if the overall system is at least at efficient (from a thermodynamic standpoing) as a gasoline engine then you have some potential. In theory you end up with a vehicle that runs like an EV: on when you need it, off when you don't. It also serves as a "gateway technology" for the fuel cell/drivetrain end which would encourage the development of our hypothetical hydrogen economy.

Is this viable? Don't know, but it can't hurt to investigate.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by martinjlm

You mean as opposed to the one below that costs $68K and gets 13 city / 17 hwy?

At least Toyota hasn't staked their future on the above vehicle. I would be interested to see what portion of GM's advertising budget goes towards large SUV's and Trucks..... I would guess the majority.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by brick
A while back I read about on-board reformers that would allow you to run a FCV on gasoline. Emissions-wise I can't imagine that this would be much better than just burning it in an engine. I also can't speak to the efficiency of the reforming process. But I can say that if the overall system is at least at efficient (from a thermodynamic standpoing) as a gasoline engine then you have some potential. In theory you end up with a vehicle that runs like an EV: on when you need it, off when you don't. It also serves as a "gateway technology" for the fuel cell/drivetrain end which would encourage the development of our hypothetical hydrogen economy.

Is this viable? Don't know, but it can't hurt to investigate.
If you'll provide a URL referencing the technology that would help a lot.

The usual problem with organic feedstocks has been elimination of trace elements that are poison to current a fuel cell chemistries. Most fuel cells today are pretty sensitive about anything other than H(2). A year or so, EDN had an article about methenol powered fuel cells for laptops and they reported that ordinary methenol is fairly cheap but the purification requirements drove up the cost and limited the supply to vendor-only methenol.

In contrast, combusion is fairly tolerant of impurities. So every now and then I catch a strong odor of SO(2) from 'sour' gas. In Oklahoma, they hit the occasional hydrogen sulfide well and the resulting plume is not only hazardous but it stinks to high heaven.

Bob Wilson