Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Don't let fuel rule big trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Don't let fuel rule big trip

Front page story the other day for the Detroit Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...73246359241548

Ooookay. What a stupid, pointless article. Seriously. I'm not even bringing up the fact that I recently made a real trip from Macomb Township MI to Myrtle Beach SC, and got far better MPGs than they seem to allude to. They ignore that Hybrids get good MPGs on the highway (not as good as city, but good compared to their non hybrid versions), and then seem to allude that people's decision between a Tahoe and a FEH is the MPGs on a long family vacation drive!

Guess the Free Press has to get their hybrid bashing article quota in.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Don't let fuel rule big trip

And in a year I'll save between $600-800 using a Civic Hybrid '06 than my slightly more roomier, and barely more tourque 03' Acura TL-S.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

That was a stupid article. I'd reply to the author but it's not even worth the keystrokes. Oooooh - an economy car saves gas on a long trip. Stunning. Someone please send a Pulitzer Prize nomination.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I love it!

From the sublime to the ridiculous!
The article compared a $55,000 Mercedes E320 CDI (EPA mileage 27/37 on diesel) to a $30,000 HAH. OK so the E320 gets slightly better mpg but how does the payback for that increase in fuel economy work out?

Old 06-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Vegetarian

Boohoo, I only saved $70 driving a Prius to Florida... why don't they mention all the money that you'd save driving the Prius everyday?

Old 06-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
Boohoo, I only saved $70 driving a Prius to Florida... why don't they mention all the money that you'd save driving the Prius everyday?
My thoughts exactly! He made it sound like the money you'd save would only fund a breakfast at Denny's so why bother. Kind of like saying that exercising for one day doesn't do you much good (which is true), while ignoring the life-long benefit of consistent exercise (which is the point). Do people understand so little about hybrids that this passes for journalism? How about the close to $2000 I've saved on gas since owning my HCH? About enough to pay for the repairs on that Town & Country after it breaks down when the warranty runs out...

Old 06-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I saved about $900 in fuel in '05 when compared to the car I had before (an Altima).

Old 06-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We just got back from a NYC-to-Orlando-to-Miami trip. We got easily twice the mileage in the HCH2 that we had gotten on prior trips in the CRV. We fueled 7 times, saving 2 fueling stops in each direction. That's a good half-hour off the trip time.

While we were down there, we met up with a friend who drove her Honda Odyssey minivan from St. Louis. She was interested in ways to improve her economy. ("Slow down" didn't seem to register.) At any rate, you're not going to fit 2 adults, 3 boys, a dog, and luggage into a Prius or an HCH2. If you need a minivan, get one. But you don't need a minivan AND an Expedition.