Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Coming to 'Bell the Hybrids'

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:28 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: Coming to 'Bell the Hybrids'

Hey, don't be so sure about this being a crazy idea.

I was asked to speak on camera about the Prius and the it's quietness in reaction to the Wisconsin Council on the Blind's meeting at the Wisconsin State capital with Automakers.

The Council is asking auto makers to consider fitting hybrids with microchips. The chips would send a small radio signals to a receiver that anyone could carry. There was even a suggestion that the receiver could buzz, vibrate, or give off a tone to alert the visually impaired person that a hybrid is approaching.

I didn't respond directly to their idea, but rather focused on quiet cars in general and that driver education is key.

You can read the transcript and watch the video on the TV station's web site.
http://wkow.madison.com/News/index.php?ID=21972

(The video can be watched by clicking the little red video camera above the Prius picture on their web site.)

It'll be interesting to watch this issue over time.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by ericbecky
Hey, don't be so sure about this being a crazy idea.

I was asked to speak on camera about the Prius and the it's quietness in reaction to the Wisconsin Council on the Blind's meeting at the Wisconsin State capital with Automakers.

The Council is asking auto makers to consider fitting hybrids with microchips. The chips would send a small radio signals to a receiver that anyone could carry. There was even a suggestion that the receiver could buzz, vibrate, or give off a tone to alert the visually impaired person that a hybrid is approaching.

I didn't respond directly to their idea, but rather focused on quiet cars in general and that driver education is key.

You can read the transcript and watch the video on the TV station's web site.
http://wkow.madison.com/News/index.php?ID=21972

(The video can be watched by clicking the little red video camera above the Prius picture on their web site.)

It'll be interesting to watch this issue over time.
If anything was to happen I personally think that idea is the smartest one. There's no additional noise that will be generated, some blind people already utilize devices that read those signals. Isn't there a system similar to that already in place in major cities at the traffic lights? I don't have a problem with safety for anyone but the solution needs to be logical.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

A Prius is a bit heaver and faster than a bicycle so that is hardly a fair comparison.

Harley riders have the motto "Loud pipes save lives". The idea is that if you hear em coming you will be less likely to pull out in front of them.

You all generally don't seem very empathetic towards the impaired. A little speaker that could save lives is that big of a deal?

Old 05-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by BigTuna
... A little speaker that could save lives is that big of a deal?
It makes the Prius just as deadly as the existing vehicles and already 5,000 pedestrians and cyclists are killed each year. The number of blind killed by ordinary cars per year is ~10. It only means the last thing the pedestrian might hear would be the noise maker.

No, we need a real solution that uses vehicle based sensors as well as wireless technology. We need smart cars that talk to each other, the roadway sensors and anyone who wants a timely warning and more importantly, the safe direction. This noise maker has none of these characteristics.

The right answer is to address the problem, the 5,000 dead pedestrians and cyclists killed each year, not an "eye wash" solution that preserves the status quo.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Another use came to mind about the transmitter devices. Besides being used to alert the impaired that a vehicle is approaching couldn't it also be used in conjunction with the signaling system so that if the traffic signal hasn't detected a signal for a specified period of time and then suddenly senses one that it would then turn the light to green in the direction the signal is coming from. This could replace the sensor in the ground thus allowing greater timing with the light and better fuel consumption. Just a thought.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm sure these two inventors are far less consumed by the politics.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Guess they'll need to bell the electric motorscooters and motorcycles (http://www.electricmotorsport.com/st...ycle_gpr-s.php) too. /bah

Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As long as the blind want to pay for these devices to be installed on every hybrid in the country.... and as long as these devices don't create noise pollution that non-blind persons have to deal with its OK with me. In other words, the chip and receiver is fine but don't make my car noisy and don't make me pay for it!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by coolshock1
If anything was to happen I personally think that idea is the smartest one. There's no additional noise that will be generated, some blind people already utilize devices that read those signals. Isn't there a system similar to that already in place in major cities at the traffic lights? I don't have a problem with safety for anyone but the solution needs to be logical.
I would support the micro-tranmsitter option. This solution does not create additional noise in an already noisy environment. The cost for a bluetooth-like device would be minimal if they were produced in quantities needed for OEM production -- and provided that the retro-fit device was made avaiable without the manufacturers taking undue advantage of the existing hybrid owners.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Coming to 'Bell the Hybrids'

Hi,
Originally Posted by FastMover
I would support the micro-tranmsitter option. This solution does not create additional noise in an already noisy environment. The cost for a bluetooth-like device would be minimal if they were produced in quantities needed for OEM production -- and provided that the retro-fit device was made avaiable without the manufacturers taking undue advantage of the existing hybrid owners.
I'm not sure about bluetooth due to limited range but have no problem with 802.11b or anything that easily reaches out beyond our worst case stopping distance. In particular, coming upon an accident in fog, an 802.11b solution keeps the hybrids from 'piling on.'

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Coming to 'Bell the Hybrids'

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands