Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

CNN Users Respond to High Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: CNN Users Respond to High Gas

Originally Posted by jaykay
While recent studies give numerically increased accident risk of driving and eating, cell phoning, etc; none of them looked at increased risk of accidents in Hybrid drivers who constantly stare at their mpg meter while driving....i know I have had a few close calls!
We've joked here before that really, our insurance rates should go up the first 3-4 months we have the vehicle, as we'll spend far too much time looking at our displays and new systems, then go down after that user break-in period.

I know I don't spend even half the time looking at the displays that I used to when I first got it.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
We've joked here before that really, our insurance rates should go up the first 3-4 months we have the vehicle, as we'll spend far too much time looking at our displays and new systems, then go down after that user break-in period.

I know I don't spend even half the time looking at the displays that I used to when I first got it.
It's funny, but true. They really probably ought to factor in whether or not a vehicle has a GPS system, real-time miles per gallon display, energy display, or DVD system and issue demerits, the same way they (used to) count front airbags and ABS as positive features that earned a lower rate.

But don't let 'em hear that... I like our rates where they are!

Old 04-22-2006, 03:38 AM
Go Army!

Originally Posted by GeekGal
the same way they (used to) count front airbags and ABS as positive features that earned a lower rate
Those features still result in discounted rates, at least at the five or six largest auto insurers in the U.S. Of course, we're quickly approaching the "if everybody gets the discount, then it's not really a discount" stage....

Last edited by David Harville; 04-22-2006 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by David Harville
Those features still result in discounted rates, at least at the five or six largest auto insurers in the U.S. Of course, we're quickly approaching the "if everybody gets the discount, then it's not really a discount" stage....
Wow, thought we were already there in fact. Front air bags are mandatory and have been since 1992, so why would insurer's still discount that as if it's a customer's choice to be safer in that regard? Now, side curtain airbags or other things that are (usually) additional options that have to be purchased, yes, but something standard in every new vehicle sold in the U.S. since 1992 (I believe?) Hmmm... guess I didn't check our policy enough to notice. The rate's terrific so I didn't have cause to dig deeper to see if we were getting all available discounts.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Banned
Talking This Reminds Me of the Gong Show

Within the last week I mentioned a chain e-mail asserting an Exxon boycott would start a gas price war (See thread).

Originally Posted by CNN reader Michael Harrison, Mesquite, Texas
Regarding the price of gasoline: If everyone would boycott Exxon, then Exxon would have to lower its prices, and others would follow. The old price wars would start. If not, keep boycotting Exxon. Give it a try.
I'm driving from Lewisville to Mesquite to meet him, thinking: "What would Moe (Stooge) do?"

Old 04-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I still *love* watching the real-time FE gauge on my HCH. That's a thrill that hasn't worn off in 3.5 years.

As far as gas prices go: if the Faux Cowboy invades Iran, get ready for $10-$15/gallon gas prices!

Old 04-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Go Army!

Shannon, there are lots of pre-1992 vehicles still on the road.

Additionally, some state insurance regulators make it just as hard to do away with a discount as they do to implement a new one.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by David Harville
Shannon, there are lots of pre-1992 vehicles still on the road.

Additionally, some state insurance regulators make it just as hard to do away with a discount as they do to implement a new one.
Good point, David. We still drive our '92 Corolla, so I don't know why I neglected to factor in that percentage-wise there's still an incentive for insurance companies to reward (through a discount of some sort) the newer model vehicles' inherent (even if mandated by law) safety features. A way of (passively?) encouraging customers who can to buy newer, safer vehicles, and thereby reduce premiums overall. Or that's the theory anyway.

I believe it about regs being difficult to remove even if obviously out-of-date. Sounds a little like the primary regulation-creation source we all know and love/loathe -- the Legislative Branch of the U.S. gov't.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Go Army!

Originally Posted by GeekGal
I believe it about regs being difficult to remove even if obviously out-of-date. Sounds a little like the primary regulation-creation source we all know and love/loathe -- the Legislative Branch of the U.S. gov't.
Yep, but worse. 50 states (plus DC), each having their own insurance laws and regulations. If an insurance company writes business in all of them, then it's like dealing with 50 individual little countries.

That's also why it's basically a waste of time for a driver in "State X" to compare auto insurance premiums with a driver in "State Y".

(I should add that I think that most, if not all, insurance companies prefer state regulation as opposed to federal regulation.)

Old 04-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Banned
Default Typical US Driver: Whine and Charge it

Many of the members here undoubtly have improved their fuel economy a lot. I don't doubt some of the poor are driving less for other means of transportation.

Recent articles suggest most American drivers just whine, use the credit card more, maybe go out less, then blame Pres. Bush. I don't disagree with the assertion this administration has let this situation happen. I just see the public unwilling to accept they are the most to blame for today's gas prices. Sales of six cylinder and V8 engines have not dropped off. Hybrid sales are not picking up.

Quick Reply: CNN Users Respond to High Gas

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands