Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

CNN Users Respond to High Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned
Talking CNN Users Respond to High Gas

Could not resist - the guy quoted below needs to moderate his appetite along with his thirsty 15mpg vehicle.

Originally Posted by Joe Stain, Atlanta, Georgia
I fill my car with 50 dollars worth of gas. I drive to the store to buy a 6 dollar bag of beef jerky. It takes me 3 dollars to go 14 miles to buy the jerky. I eat it all before I get home so I must go back to the store to buy more jerky for 6 dollars. Again it costs me 3 dollars in gas. I finish the jerky just as I arrive at home only to get an upset stomach from 1/2 pound of dried beef swelling in my stomach. I now have to spend another 3 dollars in gas to buy a 7 dollar bottle of Rolaids. This 1 hour of my life cost me 28 dollars. With the price of gas these days I think its time to give up on beef jerky. Another pleasure gone due to gas prices.
Is there a problem here?

CNN Story

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 04-20-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CNN Users Respond to High Gas

This is really simple. Gas is that price because people are willing to pay it. It is driven solely by demand. Stop buy and the price will come down (although the effects of China and India mask some of our efforts). When is everyone going to learn?!?

Old 04-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

Must eat
Must drive
Must spend
Must eat & drive
Must drive back
Must spend
Must eat & drive
Must drive back
Must buy on credit...

Old 04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You might be a RedNeck if.....

I fill my car with 50 dollars worth of gas. I drive to the store to buy a 6 dollar bag of beef jerky. It takes me 3 dollars to go 14 miles to buy the jerky. I eat it all before I get home so I must go back to the store to buy more jerky for 6 dollars. Again it costs me 3 dollars in gas. I finish the jerky just as I arrive at home only to get an upset stomach from 1/2 pound of dried beef swelling in my stomach. I now have to spend another 3 dollars in gas to buy a 7 dollar bottle of Rolaids. This 1 hour of my life cost me 28 dollars. With the price of gas these days I think its time to give up on beef jerky. Another pleasure gone due to gas prices.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:56 AM
Energy Independence!

The person that Delta Flyer quoted, although dumb, is quite funny and definitively worth of a Jeff Foxworthy skit. However, this one response in particular gave me the creeps:

"...I also foresee our retaking, probably militarily, of the nationalized oil facilities we developed in the Middle East and 'lost' in the sixties and seventies to increasingly-nationalistic indigenous peoples (this may be offset in time into the future) by appropriate occupation and control of the Iranian oil fields..." Larry Schear, East Coventry, Pennsylvania, $3.039/gallon

What is this person thinking?? Offset in time into the future by appropriate occupation and control of the Iranian oil fields? Who gave you the right to occupy other countries to control their resources?

And then we wonder how come the Iranians are so eager to get an A-bomb.

Last edited by fernando_g; 04-20-2006 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I would think that *if* Americans purchased even *moderately* smaller cars and trucks (FE = 24..30 instead of 12..18) gasoline demand would drop, and with less demand, the per-gallon price would drop.

You don't have to necessarily buy a hybrid to increase your gas mileage, you just have to be smarter about what kind of car/truck you buy.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: CNN Users Respond to High Gas

Originally Posted by gpsman1
You might be a RedNeck if.....

Beef jerky cost $6? What the heck did they make it from, filet mignon?

As for the upset stomach, a long neck would fix that right up. Don't they have any brown bags in Atlanta?

Bob Wilson

Old 04-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Banned
Question Question

Is it truly smug to laugh at the guy going back and forth to get his beef jerky?

Old 04-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Question

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Is it truly smug to laugh at the guy going back and forth to get his beef jerky?

I don't think so. Something about that just seems absurd. Very Homer-esque, making three trips in his car to buy jerky and relief from his upset stomach?

I'm sure the loudest whiner are owners of those giant pickups, like F-350s, who pass me going 80+MPH on the expressway...

Then again, I must be SMUG, I laughed rather loudly at a few of those, like the people who drive fast, or can't get out of the station for under $50.

Add in that the last time I got gas, it cost me $4. Yeah, four bucks. I wanted to stop and get a lottery ticket (269 Million), and gas prices had dropped, so I got four bucks worth of gas, the lottery ticket, and paid with a five dollar bill.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Banned

Exactly - most of us probably witness drivers doing something idiotic (usually in a land barge). Then they project us as the smug ones.

Quick Reply: CNN Users Respond to High Gas

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands