Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Celebrities and hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Celebrities and hybrids

Originally Posted by greenvillehybrid
Given our commercial flight TSA security checks and the hassle of not being allowed to even carry a bottle of water aboard, who would in the right mind fly commercial if they can afford private jets?
I know exactly what you mean. On a similar note, who in their right mind would choose to drive around in some little hybrid when they could afford to cruise around in a Cadilac Escalade? The Escalade has all kinds of size, luxury, and prestige and would easily win in a collision with any hybrid out there. Besides, they both burn the same kind of gasoline so it's hard to say one is better than the other. Right?

Leo flies just like us folk -- commercial, unless he positively must fly private because of scheduling.
This guy has money. Why would he ever deal with all the inconveniences of flying commercial when he could fly private?

Old 10-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned

This old poll here should be sufficient to indicate a diversity of political opinion here > What Political party do you stand for and why? As far as air travel goes, Wikiapedia states it as 33mpg - not bad, but nothing to brag about. I've heard it to be as high as 91mpg per passenger on a booked Boeing 747-400.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-25-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:07 PM

I think that some people feel are too sensitive. If the article just wished to slam hybrids and those who drive them it would have left out Leonardo DiCaprio who drives a Prius AND flies commercial if possible. Also, look at the source. It's a celeb website. That's their focus. The hybrid cars just happen to be the topic du jour.

I've often read posts on this board that point out the obvious - it's not your mileage, it's how much gas you burn. Don't take a further drive that will increase your mileage but burn more fuel. So what's wrong with them pointing out the irony (I stopped short of hypocracy) of driving a Prius but flying a private jet?

Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by greenvillehybrid
Given our commercial flight TSA security checks and the hassle of not being allowed to even carry a bottle of water aboard, who would in the right mind fly commercial if they can afford private jets?
The Prius is a fine car. However, there are much more comfortable, powerful, roomy, etc. cars available. But people drive them because of the mileage, the lower emissions, etc. If a person could put up with some minor shortcomings because of the advantages to the planet of burning 300 less gallons/year in a hybrid they should also be able to put up with the TSA to save 10 times as much fuel per trip.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I've often read posts on this board that point out the obvious - it's not your mileage, it's how much gas you burn. Don't take a further drive that will increase your mileage but burn more fuel. So what's wrong with them pointing out the irony (I stopped short of hypocracy) of driving a Prius but flying a private jet?
It'd only be ironic if there were a highly fuel efficient alternative form of travel they could use in place of the private jet.

To expand upon your thought, it is thus ironic to drive a Prius or any other hybrid when everyone with two legs (and some with none) are able to ride a bicycle. Afterall, a bicycle gets you from Point A to Point B. But there are real, logical reasons why bicycles aren't used for most peoples' commutes. (My husband's a road cyclist and just completed a 150 mile charity bike ride, btw. I would have too if I weren't 4+ mos. pregnant. )

Old 10-26-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
It'd only be ironic if there were a highly fuel efficient alternative form of travel they could use in place of the private jet.
Like a commercial flight? From Delta Flyer's link, commercial flights get 33.8 people miles per gallon. The point the article made was that Leo flies commercial whenever his schedule allows.

In contrast, Julie Roberts got 0.8 mpg in her jet. I wonder how many passengers there were. J-Lo got 0.9 mpg in her jet. I here she travels with a huge entourage so maybe this is good people miles per gallon. George Clooney got 0.8 mpg and Brad Pitt got 0.85 mpg. Another point of the article was that when you are burning that much fuel in your private jet, the savings in your Prius are insignificant.

I'm not saying that I would not travel in a private jet in their situation (I really don't know). I just do not understand some of these arguments.
I would have too if I weren't 4+ mos. pregnant. )
Congratulations!

Old 10-26-2006, 01:09 PM

I never saw the comparative MPGs of specific stars' jets -- must have either missed that link or not read far enough. Most corporate jets probably fly with fewer people than some of these stars travel with -- hairdressers, makeup, publicist, photographer and/or videographer, friends/family, etc. I just find it funny that someone would assume so much about a lifestyle most of us know so little about.

And, yeah, being pregnant I guess I can come off pretty "out there" in some of my posts. I'm not really that freakish... I promise. I've actually been very even-tempered and calm, just ask my husband! (Of course, he drives an F-150, so I guess I should harangue him for cancelling out my minimal fuel efficiency? )

Old 10-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Banned

I'll acknowledge many celebs don't really walk the talk.

John Madden might be a pretty green guy with his bus... (I know - he is not in the Hollywood scene)

Old 10-26-2006, 01:54 PM

To expand upon your thought, it is thus ironic to drive a Prius or any other hybrid when everyone with two legs (and some with none) are able to ride a bicycle. Afterall, a bicycle gets you from Point A to Point B. But there are real, logical reasons why bicycles aren't used for most peoples' commutes. (My husband's a road cyclist and just completed a 150 mile charity bike ride, btw. I would have too if I weren't 4+ mos. pregnant. )
I agree with what you say. I could bicycle to work (did it once). I took a longer route to avoid heavy traffic with no shoulders. I drove in one day and got a lift home. I then rode in the next morning, 21 miles one way and rode home with the bicycle in tow. Obviously though it's not a practical form of transportation for most. Weather limits it much of the time, difficult to bring groceries home. Time allotments another problem. So from your post the question becomes "are there logistical reasons to take a private jet?" If the reason is yes then it makes sense. But if they just don't wish to muddle with the masses and want the convenience of their own plane then I stand by my ironic comment.

Of course if I could afford a private jet I might still ironically own the TCH and take the private jet too.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
John Madden might be a pretty green guy with his bus... (I know - he is not in the Hollywood scene)
Green with an asterisk. He takes the bus due to his fear of flying rather than any environmental reasons.

Actually, I don't think anyone has a fear of flying. It's more of a fear of crashing.

Quick Reply: Celebrities and hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands